home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Default what's some cool new tech thing for an old woman for christmas

for self-gift

i have computers, printers, internet with massive streaming channels, do not want smartphone (been there, no thanks). i have never used touch screens on a computer...would have to be something big that i can see if i go that way.

i'm flush but clueless. "new" here is relative.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )

Last edited by DVCERSINCEDAY1; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

FIXD to diagnose car troubles.

Roomba to vacuum floors.

Ring home security monitor.

Myself, I'd want a new mattress. Ours is 14-16 years old (not sure exactly) and starting to give us sore backs. They have all kinds of new fangled mattresses like Casper and Sleep Number. You could do that. I, however, am going with traditional mattress (if I can hint enough to DH).

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
FIXD to diagnose car troubles.

Roomba to vacuum floors.

Ring home security monitor.

Myself, I'd want a new mattress. Ours is 14-16 years old (not sure exactly) and starting to give us sore backs. They have all kinds of new fangled mattresses like Casper and Sleep Number. You could do that. I, however, am going with traditional mattress (if I can hint enough to DH).
does that roomba work on hardwood? without a smart phone to program?

i recently got a foam cool gel infused mattress topper, somewhere around $150, had to let it air out for a few weeks before putting on the bed, but then it did very well on my mattress...very comfortable.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Delve into Apple. Get a new IPad.That is touch screen. Apple’s IOS is a different way to maneuver around the operating system.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post

i recently got a foam cool gel infused mattress topper, somewhere around $150, had to let it air out for a few weeks before putting on the bed, but then it did very well on my mattress...very comfortable.
Don't know anything about Roombas but wouldn't mind having one myself. But we too have hardwoods.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Joeli
One Bedroom

We have a different robot vacuum cleaner named “neato”. You need an outlet to plug in the part that the rest of the robot/vacuum rests against to charge. Some of them allow you to program days and times to start on the unit versus an iPhone, etc... You can also start it manually by pressing the start button, it will go and clean your space. 75% of our home is hardwood, the rest rugs, carpeting. It does well on all of it. It’s amazing to see how much dirt/dust accumulated in two days (that’s how often we run it). You do need to empty out the dirt bin before the next run. If it gets stuck, they usually beep to let you know they need to be moved, etc... if you have steps or a drop they can detect to avoid falling. Sometimes depending on furniture it may not have enough clearance to go under the furniture.

Some issues come from people that have pets, so there are different units that deal with that, priced differently. Oh yea, it goes back to the base unit when it needs to recharge itself.

We love ours, have two of them. One we have for 5 years, and the other is a few months old. We have a split plan home have a baby gate separating part of the house, so each neato in different part of house.

Upcoming:
Jun 2019 - BWV/BLT?
Mar 2019 - PVB
Feb 2019 - BRV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea
Nov 2018 - Swan

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani)
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We have a different robot vacuum cleaner named “neato”. You need an outlet to plug in the part that the rest of the robot/vacuum rests against to charge. Some of them allow you to program days and times to start on the unit versus an iPhone, etc... You can also start it manually by pressing the start button, it will go and clean your space. 75% of our home is hardwood, the rest rugs, carpeting. It does well on all of it. It’s amazing to see how much dirt/dust accumulated in two days (that’s how often we run it). You do need to empty out the dirt bin before the next run. If it gets stuck, they usually beep to let you know they need to be moved, etc... if you have steps or a drop they can detect to avoid falling. Sometimes depending on furniture it may not have enough clearance to go under the furniture.

Some issues come from people that have pets, so there are different units that deal with that, priced differently. Oh yea, it goes back to the base unit when it needs to recharge itself.

We love ours, have two of them. One we have for 5 years, and the other is a few months old. We have a split plan home have a baby gate separating part of the house, so each neato in different part of house.
oh wow...i'll check on this.

meanwhile, first self-gift for moi is a new big-screen laptop from leveno. i had a leveno some years back, loved it, my dell inspiron has gone nuts of late....won't let me select text for copy and paste. i've done everything i know, including re-installing chrome and reinstalling mousepad driver.

i must have copy and paste for so many things.

this is what i've ordered.

Ideapad 330 17" - Platinum Grey

this neato thing will get investigation and probably a trial.

still open to additional ideas. i have money now and life is short.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

ok - clueless but with $$$

i did a search on the best neato robot - this got a 9.8 #1 in reviews. then i used wiki at amazon to find a better price on this at ebay. i made an offer of $400. based on the videos i watched, this can be used without any smart phone app. i think i really need to find some sort of simple smart device, what are such? i do not want a smartphone and i have never been an apple user.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neato-Botva...torefresh=true

ok - here we go - offer accepted, got this for $400 with no tax and free shipping. this guy has sold 935 on ebay.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post

Roomas will work on hardwire but are a pain with pet hair. Mine constantly tells me to clean it .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

ok - bought my first tablet with touch screen - well reviewed, alexa voice control, not for work but for play/streaming. also bought a case/stand for it.

Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet with Alexa, 10.1", 1080p, 32 GB, 7th Generation