home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Nickys
Grand Villa

Default “Room Occupied” policy - possible change rumoured

Thought I would post this as I know the whole security checking of rooms resulted in some fairly passsionate and heated debate here in the forums.

However, this should be taken with some scepticism, simply because it comes from experiences posted elsewhere without any verification or official policy change. Not of course that the new security policy was exactly transparent either. And we all know just how consistent Disney policies and their implementation are in general.

Anyway, it appears in at least two DVC resorts (BWV and OKW), CMs are telling guests that all workers bar Mousekeeping are instructed to observe the new “Room Occupied” signs in the same way as the “Do Not Disturb” signs. Not even knocking on the door whilst the sign is up. Nothing yet on whether this is a general Disney policy or specific to DVC, and no further reports.

In one case the guest was told this when asking about the timing of the security checks. OK, so that could have been a CM simply placating them, although they reported it worked for a 2 week stay.

The second case is more interesting. They had maintenance issues and were told to remove the sign from their door because otherwise the engineers would not even knock, they would simply return later. They did that and the engineers then arrived promptly and fixed the issues.

Of course, since Mousekeeping seems exempt from this, this would not stop all potential interruptions. But it could be worthwhile a) checking it out and b) asking specific questions to try and establish if this has any truth or is purely circumstantial. Since MOs are likely to have many imminent stays booked between us, it could either substantially increase the number of reports of a quiet change of policy, or cast doubt as to any such change.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Thought I would post this as I know the whole security checking of rooms resulted in some fairly passsionate and heated debate here in the forums.

However, this should be taken with some scepticism, simply because it comes from experiences posted elsewhere without any verification or official policy change. Not of course that the new security policy was exactly transparent either. And we all know just how consistent Disney policies and their implementation are in general.

Anyway, it appears in at least two DVC resorts (BWV and OKW), CMs are telling guests that all workers bar Mousekeeping are instructed to observe the new “Room Occupied” signs in the same way as the “Do Not Disturb” signs. Not even knocking on the door whilst the sign is up. Nothing yet on whether this is a general Disney policy or specific to DVC, and no further reports.

In one case the guest was told this when asking about the timing of the security checks. OK, so that could have been a CM simply placating them, although they reported it worked for a 2 week stay.

The second case is more interesting. They had maintenance issues and were told to remove the sign from their door because otherwise the engineers would not even knock, they would simply return later. They did that and the engineers then arrived promptly and fixed the issues.

Of course, since Mousekeeping seems exempt from this, this would not stop all potential interruptions. But it could be worthwhile a) checking it out and b) asking specific questions to try and establish if this has any truth or is purely circumstantial. Since MOs are likely to have many imminent stays booked between us, it could either substantially increase the number of reports of a quiet change of policy, or cast doubt as to any such change.
When talking with DVC almost a year ago, this is what it was supposed to be like. If there was a sign on the door, no knocking. Only after x many hours (I want to say 24 but I would have to look what I was told somewhere else) would they consider disturbing you. It wasn't just completely keep them out for days on end thing. But if it means the security is lightening up, I'm all for it.

Again that is what I was told by higher up at DVC when the whole room check was in place. It just seems they were not following that.

Not sure why mousekeeping would be exempt from this though. Makes little sense.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
LouisianaMike
One Bedroom

We'll be at BWV in 8 short days.. I'll keep y'all abreast of the situation.. In Sept. they (Mousekeeping and maintenance once) continually walked in on us before we could even come to the door. Not happy about that.. Hopefully some changes have been implemented..

LouisianaMike
LouisianaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

We’ll be at BWV tomorrow. Here’s hoping for a positive change!
Old 11-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

When I was at Poly 2 weeks ago I had that sign on my door most of the time we were there, even when we were out (habit). On the fourth day we were at the pool and we left the sign on and they called me on my cell phone to ask if we wanted new towels, toiletries, etc. I thought it was a little odd as I thought the new policy was just knock and then go in. We said yes but had we said no would they not have even checked?

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
GrumpyInPhilly
Studio

We were @ BCV two weeks ago. We had a knock one day while we were in the room. Trash wasn't emptied two of the days so I suspect no one even entered those days.
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
B'rer Karen
Grand Villa

We were at OKW from 10/27 - 11/3. We did not use the room occupied sign at all, but did have the deadbolt and latch engaged when we were in the room.

I know Mousekeeping was in our room when we were out as trash was removed, and one day they left me balloons for my birthday (sweet surprise), but we never had a knock or attempt to come in when we were there.

WDW:Offsite '85, Offsite '90, Offsite '96, DI '00, DI '01, S/D Nov. '01, POR Sept. '02, CBR Mar. '03, S/D June '03, CBR Sept. '03, CBR Oct. '03, OKW Feb. '04, SSR/OKW Oct. '04, OKW Mar. '05, SSR Sept. '05, SSR Oct. '06, SSR Mar '07, SSR Oct. '07, SSR Oct. '08, SSR Oct. '09, AKV Feb '10, BCV Oct. '10, AKV Feb '11, BCV Oct. '11, VWL Feb '12, BCV Oct. '12, AKV Feb '13, BCV Oct. '13, AKV Feb '14, VGF/Disney Dream/BWV Oct '14, SSR Feb '15, AKV Oct '15, BLT Mar '16, SSR Feb '17, Poly Oct '17, SSR Feb '18, OKW Oct, '18
DL: May '00, Mar. '06,
B'rer Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #8
magicmommy
One Bedroom

We were at BLT last month. On trash and towel day we left the room at 9:30AM
and came back at 6:00PM. Someone put a sign on our door.
They did not do T&T or empty the trash. We called housekeeping and they sent someone up with towels. Some kid probably thinking they were funny.
magicmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
We had this happen a while back. Requested that they send up more coffee (because the amount they leave is inadequate). Came back and it wasn't there. Asked about it and were told that they had come bye, but the LUTFA was up, so they could not come in. Then the promptly showed up with the drugs after the call.

Cheers.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #10
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

We are at AKV now.

Yesterday, I was having a nap in our 1-bedroom and we had the sign on the door. Around 4:00 there was a knock at the door. My teenage kids answered and the guy came right in, asked if their parents were around, and they told him I was having a nap.

Next thing - he walks right into my bedroom while I was in bed! I was shocked. He asked if I needed anything and I said no, so he left.

It seriously creeped me out. I complained to management and they sincerely apologized.

Today we had the sign on the door. This time a female knocked, I yelled through the door that we were in the room so she said she would come back.

We are here for two weeks, so I will let you know if things suddenly improve but my experience says “no”.

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote