home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #21
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
We own at VB and got a builder incentive contract on resale with dues at $5.7 pp in 2016.
we fly to MCO and rent a car with a stop at Publix/liquor store 10 to 15 minutes away. Parking is underground in garage with elevators to the inn floors. We have only stayed in inn rooms ( 2 queen beds + table and tub shower combo). I haven't asked for shower only so not sure where they are.
Upper floor is a must for ocean view. DVC laundry is on 4th or 5th floor in the inn.
Striped beach towels are one per person in the rooms. They don't have a cart full of towels by the pool last we were there. The pool is the warmest we have experienced at any DVC resort with a nice hot tub. The sauna is great (DH & I can sit together; not like AKL where they are segregated M/F). I have not used the spa, yet.
There is 9 hole miniature golf, croquet, corn hole, shuffle board, bike rental, river and ocean kayak rental, some star gazing at night with telescope on-site (select nights with an assistant at board walk). they have a wood burning fire pit every night (weather permitting).
There is an under road tunnel to BB/tennis courts and BBQ grill/picnic area.
Access to beach & pool is via gated passkey with stairs or ramp.
It is cheaper to buy a beach chair/umbrella than rent for the week. If you are driving down, you can pack your own plus extra towels.
it is a quiet area and we tend to go May and Oct and use it for a launching point to Kennedy Space Center which is less than 1.5 hours away.
Due to our visit times it is not overrun with kids but we see families of all sizes on site.
Most of the time we use our VB before or after a WDW trip to decompress. It is very relaxing with quick service and table service on site and the Green Cabin Room bar with some food items available. There is a pizza sub shop walking distance but we never tried it.
It is very low key and a hidden Disney gem.
You need bug spray year round; those culicoides and sand mites are trouble. I use the spiral bracelets on wrists and ankles with good success plus Deep Woods Off.
Thatís exactly what we are looking for, lay back chill time. Just a few days of escaping reality. Do you hit the Publix in Orlando area or one near there.
Thanks for the hint about beachchairs, may be cheaper to buy and leave behind for someone else.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #22
DVCjj
Two Bedroom

Before you buy, do a Day Trip when you are at Disney. A couple years ago the Concierge at BCV called over there to make sure it was fine (no busy holiday times and we were there early March which wasn't affected that year) and when we arrived, we were welcomed with open arms. The CM's there are wonderful. We received passes to use the facilities and thoroughly enjoyed the pool and beach. We felt very cozy.
We ate and shopped about 10+ minutes away and had a wonderful time.

DH and I had never seen it. DD/SIL had stayed there several times on cash and loved it.

Of course, actually staying there overnight would certainly make your pro/con buying decision even easier.
DVCjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #23
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Here is why I LOVE HHI...we grew up with OC Maryland as our beach and it's soooooooo commercialized and built up, much like Myrtle and VA beach and even Nags Head. HHI...you drive down the main drag and don't even realize you're at the beach. It's like any quaint southern town. Vero is more...um....natural and wild. And very secluded or isolated. I like some stuff just not OC MD level of stuff. But also not Naked and Afraid or Survivor style like VB.
I have been enjoying this thread since we plan to go for a few days for the first time after our first short Disney Cruise.
This part of your post gave me pause.

I also grew up with the whole OC beach thing, senior week and all.
I just was there for the first time in 30+ years(?) and itís even way more overbuilt now! Too much for me!

Which leads me to your part about VB being a little more wild shall I say?
Did I read that right? Did I misunderstand ... as I have been known to do?
I always heard calm, turtles, etc.

Still planning to hit HHI sooner than later and you definitely helped assure that we will!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
I have been enjoying this thread since we plan to go for a few days for the first time after our first short Disney Cruise.
This part of your post gave me pause.

I also grew up with the whole OC beach thing, senior week and all.
I just was there for the first time in 30+ years(?) and itís even way more overbuilt now! Too much for me!

Which leads me to your part about VB being a little more wild shall I say?
Did I read that right? Did I misunderstand ... as I have been known to do?
I always heard calm, turtles, etc.

Still planning to hit HHI sooner than later and you definitely helped assure that we will!

I believe she meant wild in terms of nature, not college kids.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 AM   #25
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
True. There are crabs scurrying around and they are cute but I wouldn't want to get pinched by one.

Last edited by ajc; 10-13-2018 at 08:44 AM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
True. There are crabs scurrying around and they are cute but I would want to get pinched by one.
Wow! I sure got that one wrong
Relieved I am, thank you!
Sometimes I worry about myself!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #27
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Before you buy, do a Day Trip when you are at Disney. A couple years ago the Concierge at BCV called over there to make sure it was fine (no busy holiday times and we were there early March which wasn't affected that year) and when we arrived, we were welcomed with open arms. The CM's there are wonderful. We received passes to use the facilities and thoroughly enjoyed the pool and beach. We felt very cozy.
We ate and shopped about 10+ minutes away and had a wonderful time.

DH and I had never seen it. DD/SIL had stayed there several times on cash and loved it.

Of course, actually staying there overnight would certainly make your pro/con buying decision even easier.
Iím not buying. Actually I owned a small contract for almost 15 yrs that I sold when we added on at the Poly. We just never stayed there, until now. Going for a chill beach vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Wow! I sure got that one wrong
Relieved I am, thank you!
Sometimes I worry about myself!

Yes sadly OC has changed and not necessarily for the better.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #28
Deb & Bill
Two Bedroom

We did a short trip to VB several years ago and stayed in an Ocean View Inn Room. It was pleasant enough, but not the wide expansive Gulf Coast beaches we were used to. Kind of a narrow beach. Atlantic Ocean water is cooler than Gulf Coast, too. And more of a rapid drop off than the Gulf. We rented an umbrella and chairs from the beach vendor and they were set up ready for us each day we were there. Ours was a shorter trip, so it was just as cost effective to rent rather than buy, haul down to the beach and set up ourselves (we're lazy like that).

That said, we retired to SW Florida just over a year ago to Marco Island. We're about 1.3 miles from the beach and we have a really nice pool in our back yard. We had a terrible problem with red tide this summer (not as bad as Sanibel), plus the crap from Lake O (just the brown stuff, not the green algae). We used our pool a lot more this summer than we went to the beach. The Atlantic Coast is getting red tide now (I know that they had it in Miami) and ours is pretty much gone. And they did get the crap from Lake O, too, this summer. As for No-See-Ums, use bug spray on them and yourself. I've only had a problem with them once. We don't usually get sea lice or jellyfish here too much, not sure about VB.

I'm still surprised they let you out on the beach to watch the turtles. On Marco, no one is allowed on the beach at night during nesting season and you have to close your curtains on any beach front properties to keep the beach dark so the turtles don't get confused and head inland instead of back to the sea.

We're much further south than VB, so we are more subtropical and warmer in the winter months, but the water might still be a bit cool here. In VB, it can be cold.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #29
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
We did a short trip to VB several years ago and stayed in an Ocean View Inn Room. It was pleasant enough, but not the wide expansive Gulf Coast beaches we were used to. Kind of a narrow beach. Atlantic Ocean water is cooler than Gulf Coast, too. And more of a rapid drop off than the Gulf. We rented an umbrella and chairs from the beach vendor and they were set up ready for us each day we were there. Ours was a shorter trip, so it was just as cost effective to rent rather than buy, haul down to the beach and set up ourselves (we're lazy like that).

That said, we retired to SW Florida just over a year ago to Marco Island. We're about 1.3 miles from the beach and we have a really nice pool in our back yard. We had a terrible problem with red tide this summer (not as bad as Sanibel), plus the crap from Lake O (just the brown stuff, not the green algae). We used our pool a lot more this summer than we went to the beach. The Atlantic Coast is getting red tide now (I know that they had it in Miami) and ours is pretty much gone. And they did get the crap from Lake O, too, this summer. As for No-See-Ums, use bug spray on them and yourself. I've only had a problem with them once. We don't usually get sea lice or jellyfish here too much, not sure about VB.

I'm still surprised they let you out on the beach to watch the turtles. On Marco, no one is allowed on the beach at night during nesting season and you have to close your curtains on any beach front properties to keep the beach dark so the turtles don't get confused and head inland instead of back to the sea.

We're much further south than VB, so we are more subtropical and warmer in the winter months, but the water might still be a bit cool here. In VB, it can be cold.
I may just rent the chairs, since itís only for a few days. Could use a few new ones back home but since we are flying. Seems more of a waste to buy and leave behind.
Iím use to the Atlantic since I live about a hour away from beaches in the NE, so Fl Atlantic water may seem warm to us.

Nice place to retire, Marco Island is said to be beautiful. I know people who live in FL and vacation there.

Reading about VB Resort they do say that the beaches are kept dark and the windows are tinted so indoor lighting from the rooms do not interfere with the turtles. Not sure if access on the beach is or is not allowed at night. But not one to be in the pitch dark, even if it is allowed.

My gf lives in the Palm beach area and had the red tide issue the other day. My son goes to school in FL but is north of Orlando. Not sure if they have had the red tide issue.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
SAMAYA
Studio

[quote=Disney54us;1497804. My gf lives in the Palm beach area and had the red tide issue the other day. My son goes to school in FL but is north of Orlando. Not sure if they have had the red tide issue.[/QUOTE]

Red Tide now reported in Vero Beach. The following was posted 2-hours ago on cbs12.com news.

VERO BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) ó
There are signs of red tide in Indian River County, according to the Board of County Commissioners.
The Department of Emergency Management says it is working with the Health Department to assess conditions.
According to the County, no beaches are closed.
However, the city of Vero Beach issued an alert Monday advising people to stay out of the water after reports of an unknown odor and dead fish washing ashore.
Kief Willer took photos of the dead fish and shared them on Facebook and with CBS12 News.
County emergency leaders say people with respiratory problems should stay away from the beaches for the next 2-10 days.
People should also not eat dead fish, and be cautious with any fish caught from the southeastern coast of Florida.
Shellfish shouldn't be eaten at all until the red tide disappears, the Department of Emergency Services warned.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is working to get water samples to process and enter into their database.
Visit the FWC website for daily red tide updates. FWC also has an interactive map where you can check the current status of red tide
SAMAYA is online now   Reply With Quote