home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #71
carolina_yankee
Administrator

At least the parents cared enough about hygiene to ask and told the kids to wash when they got back to the room. Not ideal, but better than clueless parents not caring or worse - smiling and laughing about how cute their germ-muffins are.

Quite frankly, no one should ever rely on anybody else's hygiene to protect them on a cruise ship or anywhere else. I can guarantee many adults didn’t wash their hands before touching the elevator buttons. . .

Dirk
Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #72
Caren90
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
At least the parents cared enough about hygiene to ask and told the kids to wash when they got back to the room. Not ideal, but better than clueless parents not caring or worse - smiling and laughing about how cute their germ-muffins are.

Quite frankly, no one should ever rely on anybody else's hygiene to protect them on a cruise ship or anywhere else. I can guarantee many adults didnít wash their hands before touching the elevator buttons. . .

Dirk

This.

Assume everyone is gross. I ride the train 3 days per week to Boston. I've seen it all. My favorite (G rated) was the passenger clipping her fingernails in a shoulder to shoulder full car. Classic!

The other stories I cannot say on this forum- they would make you shudder.

Leaving for a cruise in a few days. Flu is currently going around my school with a couple of children so fingers are crossed we make it to the end of the week unscathed. If not, we miss our cruise. No big deal.

Stephen
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #73
Axelskater
Two Bedroom

Sorry you were unwell, it is the worst on vacation.

I have taken many, many cruises. My policy - I just try not to touch anything...no handrails (having great balance helps), use elbow or key card in the elevator for the buttons, and I do not go to buffets but that is because I am not fond of the ship buffets anyway. Sanitize before eating (since you have used a communal menu) and just use your own pen to sign for purchases. I don't think I have ever been in a public bathroom on a ship - my stateroom is really not that far. In a pinch I always remember that hand sanitizer can kill some things, but it does NOT kill Noro, it is the friction of vigorously rubbing your hands together which can help you shed it off your hands (similar to hand washing which is always best).

So if you sanitize and just do a perfunctory rub together - you have done nothing to help yourself. Spray it on and vigorously rub together. I know people figure this is overkill, or my whole trip is spent worrying, but it is not that way at all. All of those steps are second nature. It takes about 30 extra seconds to vigorously rub your hands, and about 5 minutes to go back to your cabin. I just know if I touch something then I make sure I take a step to alleviate it. No big deal. As usual I will add my disclaimer that I have no kids and I have no idea how it would be to travel with small children. It is always myself and one other adult. They have learned to just go with my anti-germ regimen.
Axelskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #74
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caren90 View Post
This.

Assume everyone is gross. I ride the train 3 days per week to Boston. I've seen it all. My favorite (G rated) was the passenger clipping her fingernails in a shoulder to shoulder full car. Classic!

The other stories I cannot say on this forum- they would make you shudder.

Leaving for a cruise in a few days. Flu is currently going around my school with a couple of children so fingers are crossed we make it to the end of the week unscathed. If not, we miss our cruise. No big deal.

Stephen
I know a cruise ship is a much higher risk for contagion, but probably not any worse than a major city transit system!

I wash my hands frequently on a cruise ship and always use the wipes - and common sense. At the same time, my parents let me roll in pig sties and toxic waste as a kid (metaphorically speaking) so I think I have a generally strong immune system.

For those who don't (for whatever reason), I get that people need to be more cautious, and are naturally more sensitive to those who obviously aren't.

There is also heightened anxiety around being sick on a cruise ship because it's an expensive vacation (especially on DCL) and your personal freedoms will be restricted for the safety of others. Nobody wants that. Add that to the increasing fear of germs in general (and stronger germs out there, too), and I get the anxiety.

Dirk
Old 02-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #75
rowrbazzle
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelskater View Post
Sorry you were unwell, it is the worst on vacation.

I have taken many, many cruises. My policy - I just try not to touch anything...no handrails (having great balance helps), use elbow or key card in the elevator for the buttons, and I do not go to buffets but that is because I am not fond of the ship buffets anyway. Sanitize before eating (since you have used a communal menu) and just use your own pen to sign for purchases. I don't think I have ever been in a public bathroom on a ship - my stateroom is really not that far. In a pinch I always remember that hand sanitizer can kill some things, but it does NOT kill Noro, it is the friction of vigorously rubbing your hands together which can help you shed it off your hands (similar to hand washing which is always best).

So if you sanitize and just do a perfunctory rub together - you have done nothing to help yourself. Spray it on and vigorously rub together. I know people figure this is overkill, or my whole trip is spent worrying, but it is not that way at all. All of those steps are second nature. It takes about 30 extra seconds to vigorously rub your hands, and about 5 minutes to go back to your cabin. I just know if I touch something then I make sure I take a step to alleviate it. No big deal. As usual I will add my disclaimer that I have no kids and I have no idea how it would be to travel with small children. It is always myself and one other adult. They have learned to just go with my anti-germ regimen.
The doctor - walking into the hospital room after one of our kids was born - gets some hand sanitizer and says to me, "You know this doesn't really do anything. "
Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #76
Axelskater
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
The doctor - walking into the hospital room after one of our kids was born - gets some hand sanitizer and says to me, "You know this doesn't really do anything. "
Just like washing your hands for 5 seconds does nothing ... in order for either to work you have to create some vigorous friction and get the germs off your hands. But people seem in a hurry and don't want to bother. I just take the extra time to do it
Axelskater is offline   Reply With Quote