home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default March college spring games/WDW trip

When....March 3-10
Where...BWV, studio for us and 1BR for SIL and BIL
Who...DH and I. Twin DDs stay with team about 5 mins away offsite near Old Town
SIL, BIL and their college DD and her BF from UofTampa (for some days)

Going to be long winded as this has been a doozy to plan.

So, my twins play college softball and will come down for their spring break to play in tournament in Kissimmee. We knew of this since they verballed with the team way back in HS. So we booked two studios at the 11 month window and SIL grabbed a 1BR right at 7 months.

Initially MIL and FIL were coming and staying in our 2nd studio but in Oct MIL went to DR for stomach pain and in two months of testing they discovered she has a rare appendix cancer that has begun to spread. She began chemo and would still be in treatment through the trip so they obviously could not go. I worry about our plans to go. We will push ahead and hope all is going well with MIL....haven't really let thoughts of any other possibility enter our minds.

My DS-21 was also planning to go. So we moved him from our studio over to MIL's and removed them from resie. When DS decided to go, around October, I had tried to switch to a 1BR but could not get all the nights at BWV and we just didn't want a split stay again nor did we really want to be anywhere other than BW or BC. Now he'd have his own studio...yay. We also began the plans to see if his GF could come too as she has never been.

But then DS got a new job. In his field of study at a hotel (he is majoring in restaurant and hotel management). It was now 32 days from trip so I was fortunate to be able to cancel before going into holding. I thought about renting the resie but saw that HHI had a 2BR available in May for my mom's 70th birthday so I booked three nights. They were borrowed June UY points so had to be used by June 1. Debating adding another night with Aug UY HHI points but I think three nights with twins and my mom will be enough. LOL.

I had bought FIL, for Xmas, two tickets to a Braves VS Yankees spring training game for while we'd be on this trip....at Wide World of Sports. Was about $90. I looked into reselling but no takers so I contacted TM and they were very kind to refund me. I also had booked SW air for in laws and had to cancel. Then I contacted their customer relations and worked with them. They also kindly agreed to refund to our CC for the part we paid on it. But I also paid part with vouchers I had from last June trip when mine, DDs and my mom's flight was cancelled. That money would remain on their travel bank to be used by them before June 2. They likely won't be able to use it as she may have surgery after chemo and then more treatment. SW told me to contact them again after bank expires and MIL can send in DR note and will get 6 more months as well as then it can be transferable to me....or something like that. The game tickets refund has gone through but still waiting on the SW....it's been two weeks so I am now worried it won't happen and I'll have to call again. It's like $400 on CC and $250 on vouchers.

Back to the trip. We booked ADRs at 6 months and FP at 2. Then got DDs game schedule and had to modify (had to cancel BOG as no modifying was possible). I had two nights booked at Ohana. Was told months ago that the team has the 7th off and could hang with their family during the day but at night the team always goes out to Old Town together. I had late Ohana that night but found a 7pm Ohana on the 8th. Then was told they wanted to do a team plus family dinner on the 8th so I cancelled the Ohana on the 8th and joined TP to find a better time on the 5th so I cancelled the 7th. Then they cancelled the family dinner on the 8th. But now they are allowing the girls to be with families on the evening of the 8th. Wish I had that Ohana and it was for 8 people since I booked when MIL and FIL were coming.

I booked,on Open Table, a Planet Hollywood resie for the 8th. Booked a table of 8 in case any softball folks want to join us or SIL. I also used TP searcher to get table for 4 at Beaches and Cream. It's too early but I have another search in for a later time as well as for a table of 8. But not expecting that. DH really wants to go to Planet Hollywood anyway (after looking at dessert menu, lol).

For the 7th, we booked Wave. And hope to get to MK for late EMH that night but we always say we will go but never do. My girls' birthday is the 3rd and I initially had two tables (one booked by SIL) at Le Cellier in case they could come. But they can't. They fly down that day, check in to hotel and then have practice and early curfew. So we cancelled the second table.

We also booked a breakfast at Boma, lunch at Ale and Compass, dinners at La Trattoria, the Flying Fish and Tiffins. The day off of softball, the 7th, my girls chose going to Epcot to try F&G booths for lunch. DH and I will likely do lunch at the booths on arrival day too.

We are driving and leaving on the 2nd. We booked, a friends and family rate thanks to DS, for the night in Savannah at a TownPlace suites. Hope to get to BWV around 1pm on the 3rd, park and go right in to Epcot for F&G. The girls' softball games begin on the 4th and are two a day through the 9th, with them having off on the 7th. They go right to airport on the 9th, after second game. We drive home, to NC, on the 10th. SIL and BIL are driving down from MD. They have to go over to Tampa before or after the Disney trip. They hope to stop over at our house on the way down or up or both. So this will be a fluid trip. We will see how much Disney we get in. Some of the ADRs might get cancelled as it might be more convenient to eat off property near ball fields. And I only made FP on 4 days and one of those conflicts with game schedule. We shall see how it goes. Will be doing this trip the next few years.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): March 3-10 at BWV, May 16-19 at HHI

Last edited by Lamima; 02-14-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Wow, quite a bit has gone into this trip already. Best wishes to your mother-in-law.

Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
BugsDad
Grand Villa

Tiffins is fantastic and we had a really good breakfast at the Wave back in August. Have fun!

BugsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #4
melk
Grand Villa

I'm exhausted just reading about it!

Wishing the best for your MIL.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
FessParker1
Studio

Wow!!! I hope all goes well.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks. 2.5 weeks until the trip. Hoping it goes off without a hitch. DH has the flu but should be better well before then. And if I catch it, should also be better before the trip....but fingers crossed I don't catch it.

Our March 9th night at AK recently had park hours extended to close later. I watched the thread on other place about loading FP to match extended hours and I stalked the MDE by trying to modify our FP....I had 7pm FP for FOP but SIL and BIL could not get it. So when I saw FP were loaded yesterday, I texted SIL who was able to grab 7:30 for her family and I bumped ours up to match. Works out well since our Tiffins ADR is 5:50. Now we have more time to enjoy that and then go to FOP.

Happy Valentine's Day!

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): March 3-10 at BWV, May 16-19 at HHI

Last edited by Lamima; 02-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote