home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #21
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

The better question for me is how often to you actually use the camera? Since I switched to the smaller Sony A6500 and bought a comfortable after market strap I almost always take the camera. I must admit that we seldom use it but it is typically with us. I am sure that most cameras have as many settings as the Sony but at times I will have a "practice" day and take the camera into the park with the idea of shooting often and changing settings (such as focus method) just to remember which buttons to use.

Here are a couple shot from the truck on the Safari ride, I was trying to learn the best way to hold and balance the large lens and see how well the 5 axis stabilization worked. Photos have been cropped and auto corrected in Affinity Photo

Hippo 1

sleeping dog 2
Old 04-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #22
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
The better question for me is how often to you actually use the camera? Since I switched to the smaller Sony A6500 and bought a comfortable after market strap I almost always take the camera. I must admit that we seldom use it but it is typically with us. I am sure that most cameras have as many settings as the Sony but at times I will have a "practice" day and take the camera into the park with the idea of shooting often and changing settings (such as focus method) just to remember which buttons to use.

Here are a couple shot from the truck on the Safari ride, I was trying to learn the best way to hold and balance the large lens and see how well the 5 axis stabilization worked. Photos have been cropped and auto corrected in Affinity Photo

Hippo 1

sleeping dog 2
Which lens did you use? I often have a hard time getting a good shot of the African dogs, and yours is great!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #23
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Hahah.....I pulled out my Nikon yesterday to take some pics of the grandkids and brother's grandkids. I had to keep pausing to figure out which button and settings I was trying to use.......sad.

Also, a buzz kill for taking the photos. Everyone else was using their cellphones to take the same photos as me. By the time we all got home, all the other people had edited, shared and posted all of their photos and I hadn't even loaded mine up to the computer yet. My photos are better in detail, color, etc.....but are already "old" news. A few of the photos I will print and mount, which will look great unlike all those cell phone pics.

Quote:
Very nice and good detail.

Last edited by tomandrobin; 04-01-2018 at 07:26 AM.
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #24
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Which lens did you use? I often have a hard time getting a good shot of the African dogs, and yours is great!

Dirk
Isn't it.......

Pssst.....Don't be late for service this morning!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Sony 100-400 GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Hahah.....I pulled out my Nikon yesterday to take some pics of the grandkids and brother's grandkids. I had to keep pausing to figure out which button and settings I was trying to use.......sad.

Also, a buzz kill for taking the photos. Everyone else was using their cellphones to take the same photos as me. By the time we all got home, all the other people had edited, shared and posted all of their photos and I hadn't even loaded mine up to the computer yet. My photos are better in detail, color, etc.....but are already "old" news. A few of the photos I will print and mount, which will look great unlike all those cell phone pics.

Very nice and good detail.
I have been know to upload to my phone if there is something I really want to post. I think you should be able to go straight to the internet from the a6500 using the park WiFi but I have never tried.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #26
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Hippo 1

sleeping dog 2
Nice shots.

I have found with larger and faster (they are heavy) lenses it is difficult for me to balance the camera with one hand. With 24-70 GM my a7r ii is almost always front heavy and I have to support it at the front end with other hand.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #27
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Great shots!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #28
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Nice shots.

I have found with larger and faster (they are heavy) lenses it is difficult for me to balance the camera with one hand. With 24-70 GM my a7r ii is almost always front heavy and I have to support it at the front end with other hand.
I almost exclusively use zoom lenses so my hand is almost always under the lens to control the zoom. The 100-400gm lens is a bit interesting because it has three additional function buttons on the lens so you need to be somewhat careful not to accidentally hit one of those if they're assigned.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #29
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I almost exclusively use zoom lenses so my hand is almost always under the lens to control the zoom. The 100-400gm lens is a bit interesting because it has three additional function buttons on the lens so you need to be somewhat careful not to accidentally hit one of those if they're assigned.
Interesting you bought 100-400 GM for a6500 body. Once I was interested in a6500 but ended up second a7rII body as a6500 was full price back then.

How you liking 100-400?

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #30
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Sony 100-400 GM
OK. Thatís hard core! I could do small add-on via Resale for the price of that lens! Clearly, it works well . . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote