home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
KShack11
Two Bedroom

Default Sony Lens vs Tamron Lens?

I have a Sony a6000 that I absolutely love. I love the raw pictures that come out of it. Half the time I don't even feel like I should edit the picture because I just love the original. When I originally purchased it, it was similar to this package: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-alp...99224700050003

It came with the 16-50mm Power zoom lens, and I purchased the extra 55-210mm lens and some other goodies. I do not like the power lens at all. I want to personally have control of the zoom. I have been looking into upgrading to a 18-200mm lens. This would allow me to have full control of the zoom and it would also take out the need for me to have to switch lenses as well. So now I have come to the dilemma and debate of Tamron vs. Sony lenses. Is there really that much of a difference? The price difference is insane. I do love purchasing things at Best Buy with price match because then I can get geek squad. So when I get ran into by some unsuspecting kid at the parks and/or accidentally drop it, Geek Squad replaces it with no questions asked. I have also used SquareTrade on several things but nothing camera related.

So if I go with the Tamron lens at the link below, I can't get Geek Squad. I could possibly still get Square Trade though, but I haven't looked into yet on how to do that with something purchased on Amazon.

So everything summed up, my question is this: Is there a major difference in Tamron lenses compared to Sony lenses? Will the auto focus still work the same for when I'm feeling lazy? Should I just splurge the extra $300 to get the Sony?

Sony Lens:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-18-...&skuId=5622838

Tamron Lens:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A29M3IEGE3KH5Q
KShack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

My understanding is that only the Sony lenses are able to use the full range of autofocus points and frame speed.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Trooper
Two Bedroom

The link to the Tamron lens is an international (grey) market version with no warranty. The US version with warranty (http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-200m...0mm+sony+mount) is about the same price as the Sony.

I always avoid Tamron. Stick w the Sony version.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
KShack11
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
The link to the Tamron lens is an international (grey) market version with no warranty. The US version with warranty (http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-200m...0mm+sony+mount) is about the same price as the Sony.

I always avoid Tamron. Stick w the Sony version.
I have never used a warranty in my life so I'm not too worried about that part. That's the good part about Square Trade.
KShack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Tamron makes some good second-party alternatives to some Canon lenses, so I wouldn't rule them out because they are second-party.

The warranty could be an issue if it's a bad copy. It happens, even with high-end L lenses (Canon's terminology), but like you, I've never used my lens warranty.

I know with Canon, though, that their US service centers won't necessarily service an international lens, even for $$$.

I'll be curious to hear what others say, as quality 2nd party lenses would be an asset to the camera market.

I will say, though, that super zooms like you're looking at always come with a cost - either a lower quality lens, or less flexible with regard to lighting scenarios, or very heavy. However, depending on how you shoot, none of those may be concerns.

At the end of the day, every lens is a compromise.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Personally, I'd go the extra mile and plunk down the extra money on the Sony lens.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Trooper
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Tamron makes some good second-party alternatives to some Canon lenses, so I wouldn't rule them out because they are second-party.

The warranty could be an issue if it's a bad copy. It happens, even with high-end L lenses (Canon's terminology), but like you, I've never used my lens warranty.

I know with Canon, though, that their US service centers won't necessarily service an international lens, even for $$$.

I'll be curious to hear what others say, as quality 2nd party lenses would be an asset to the camera market.

I will say, though, that super zooms like you're looking at always come with a cost - either a lower quality lens, or less flexible with regard to lighting scenarios, or very heavy. However, depending on how you shoot, none of those may be concerns.

At the end of the day, every lens is a compromise.

Dirk
The Tamron 18-200 paired with the A6000 scored poorly. The A6000 out resolves the lens in this case. I can't think of a Tamron lens outperforming an equivalent Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Olympus, etc lens. "Good" is a relatively term.

With that said, for the average person, it probably wouldn't matter.

To the OP: check this out http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Best-...the-Sony-A6000

And yep, every lens is a compromise.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
The Tamron 18-200 paired with the A6000 scored poorly. The A6000 out resolves the lens in this case. I can't think of a Tamron lens outperforming an equivalent Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Olympus, etc lens. "Good" is a relatively term.

With that said, for the average person, it probably wouldn't matter.

And yep, every lens is a compromise.
I found the Tamron 28-75 to be a nice lens for the Canon, but I had a crop camera at the time, so the 28 was too long on the wide end. I would never buy a 2nd party lens to replace L glass, but some of the 2nd party alternatives are viable alternatives to Canon's budget line-up if $$$ are a factor - which is always part of the compromise as well.

Dirk

Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I found the Tamron 28-75 to be a nice lens for the Canon, but I had a crop camera at the time, so the 28 was too long on the wide end. I would never buy a 2nd party lens to replace L glass, but some of the 2nd party alternatives are viable alternatives to Canon's budget line-up if $$$ are a factor - which is always part of the compromise as well.

Dirk
I have Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and happy with it.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
I have Tamron 24-70 f2.8 and happy with it.
That's right. That's what it was. I loved the constant f2.8 and used it to replace my 18-55 kit lens before I upgraded to 24-105L f4.

Proof that some 2nd party lenses can be quite viable alternatives, but you have to do your research.

Dirk