home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
jagron11
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Camera Bag Help

Not totally technology, but carrying all my tech, so thought Iíd ask. Iím not a photo pro, but do it as a hobby. Like many of you here, though, travel and with large family in tow. Any recommendations for a good multi purpose photo travel bag? Or better yet, what do you use like/dislikes?

Hereís what I carry and use:
Canon 5d (preferably with battery grip)
Flash
2-3 lenses
Go pro
Go pro floating handle
Mbpro 15
iPad 9.7 size
Like to have space for a light weight jacket

Note: this is how itís packed down to travel, not for the parks each day, if at WDW.

Currently use a Peak Design Everyday 20L. And itís just a tad too snug. Regretting not getting the 30L. But now that I likely need to upgrade looking at other options.
jagron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

I also use the Peak Design 20L and love it but I have Sony Alpha gear and no go pros. I especially like how you can access the bag by either side without taking it off and the fact that it doesn't scream "camera bag" when you are traveling with it.

It wouldn't help while you are transporting your gear but I use the PD capture clips with the pro pad, I have one set up on the bag strap and the other on my belt. I often will use two bodies and have one on my hip and the other on a PD strap. You can sit down with the camera on the clip plus it locks in making it harder to steal in a crowd. If it is a tight ride car in the parks I unclip it and carry it during the ride (with wrist strap).

I haven't used it but have seen "Think Tank" gear and have been impressed with the design and build quality.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Darn. I was going to recommend you look at Peak 20L or 30L. I will say that YouTube reviewers really seem to like Peak.

Bag questions are perfect for the forum!

I use Sony Alpha gear and have a ThinkTank Turnstyle 20 that's a sling type bag. I can also fit my iPad Pro and a paperwhite Kindle in it, quite impressively. It holds my Sony a6500 with 17-40 lens attached, my 55-210, my 10-18, and assorted accessories as well.

It's probably too small for your needs, but I can highly recommend ThinkTank products. The design is truly excellent.

Maybe look at the Streetwalker Series.

Tom Bricker at DisneyTouristBlog.com has several posts on recommended photo gear, too. He's been through a number of bags and has settled on one or two that he likes the most. He's not a fan of Peak, either.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/to...ographer-2019/

Best Camera Bag for Disney

This is the bag he's settled on:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e7bf97b810d6f3

Of course, everybody changes their styles slightly from year to year so you have to find the closest match.

Your big challenge is that the bag that is great for carrying everything in one place is probably not the best bag to take into the parks since you a) don't want to carry gear you don't need for the day and b) want a bag that easy to handle on attractions.

Dirk

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
jagron11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
I also use the Peak Design 20L and love it but I have Sony Alpha gear and no go pros. I especially like how you can access the bag by either side without taking it off and the fact that it doesn't scream "camera bag" when you are traveling with it.

It wouldn't help while you are transporting your gear but I use the PD capture clips with the pro pad, I have one set up on the bag strap and the other on my belt. I often will use two bodies and have one on my hip and the other on a PD strap. You can sit down with the camera on the clip plus it locks in making it harder to steal in a crowd. If it is a tight ride car in the parks I unclip it and carry it during the ride (with wrist strap).

I haven't used it but have seen "Think Tank" gear and have been impressed with the design and build quality.
Awesome. Thanks. Thatís exactly why I landed on Peak to start with, just kicking myself I didnít get the 30L, but at the time was using a 70D and not the larger 5D. Also went from a MBP 13 to 15. Those have made it a bit snug. I do love the capture clips though.

DW is going to kill me when I get another bag, she says I have a problem. (Sheís right).
AoA 3/17
Wonder 10/15
DLH 8/13
DLH 03/12
GC 12/05
WL 8/05
Contemporary 8/04
GF 8/99
Dixie Landings 6/95
Old 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagron11 View Post
Awesome. Thanks. Thatís exactly why I landed on Peak to start with, just kicking myself I didnít get the 30L, but at the time was using a 70D and not the larger 5D. Also went from a MBP 13 to 15. Those have made it a bit snug. I do love the capture clips though.

DW is going to kill me when I get another bag, she says I have a problem. (Sheís right).
Uhm, how many bags does she buy?

Just like handbags, you need different camera bags for different situations and amounts of gear . . .

Iíve been through at least 5 or 6. What I have now isnít perfect, but itís adequate.

Dirk

Old 01-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagron11 View Post

Just like handbags, you need different camera bags for different situations and amounts of gear . . .

Iíve been through at least 5 or 6. What I have now isnít perfect, but itís adequate.

Now wait until you start trying out tripods . . .

Dirk

Old 01-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
jagron11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Now wait until you start trying out tripods . . .

Dirk
To her credit she actually doesn't buy many. I tend to buy her most of the nice bags she has (once again maybe it's me with the problem.) I'm wondering if I get the new Peak travel bag with a camera cube, to be my carry-on for the flights out, etc. When I'm really loaded down. And then just use the 20L for out in the park. I really do like the functionality of it, that it doesn't scream "hi-$$ camera gear inside", etc.

Decisions Decisions
AoA 3/17
Wonder 10/15
DLH 8/13
DLH 03/12
GC 12/05
WL 8/05
Contemporary 8/04
GF 8/99
Dixie Landings 6/95
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

I use single camera bag system to walk around. Have many for journey but I prefer one camera per bag with lens attached. Will keep extra battery and so card and minor stuff in side pockets.

For this purpose, I have

Think tank digital holder 50 v2.0
Caselogic large
Caselogic medium, several pieces of this size
Lowepro toploader AW 50 older version
Lowepro toploader 75 AW II

I do have smaller bags to hook on to these to carry small extra lenses or flashes.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #9
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

I used to use a Lowespro 202AW, but got tired of lugging it around in the theme parks. DS used to use Case Logic SLRC-205 until he went smartphone only.

Now I just carry my Canon DSLR using a Quick Neck Shoulder Strap and mounting a Hero 4 Session on my Canon using a PULUZ Housing Case Shell.

I sometimes also carry another action camera in a small case clipped to a belt loop. Since my shirt is untucked, I usually can skip baggage check this way.

I now carry all my equipment in a Pelican 1510 case. Kids say I take too much equipment. But, I have fun with what I can do with it.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:49 AM   #10
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

When I carry a camera at Disney I have gotten so I carry it on a strap and an extra lens or two will go in their own protective case into my normal backpack. I also bring a neoprene cover for the camera along should I want or need to store it in the normal backpack I'm carrying which is always just a simply lightweight bag. I certainly have a decent collection of bags I've gotten over the years and this is what has been my preference for a few years - pretty minimal. During air travel if bringing several lenses I have an old rolling Pelican bag that would carry all the items you list. It's held up well and I have zero complaints. The Pelican is my main bag for storage at home.