home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #21
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Thanks... won't bother since yet sgain Disney forgets that their S is too big for petite people. Pity because some looked cute.
Being a petite person myself (i.e. short), I feel your pain. That's one reason I got into sewing in the first place. Now there's rarely a garment I buy without modifying it in some way, particularly dresses and skirts. They're always too long. These dresses are no different. On someone 5'4"-5'7", they are around tea length (just below the knee). But for me, that becomes low mid-calf/high ankle length. I prefer my skirts at a 20-22" length, A line cut, so I make my own.

I was tempted to buy the Haunted Mansion dress for the material and then modify it for me. Shorten the skirt, add sleeves.

Anyway, I've uploaded some of the photos I took so you guys can have a closer look.

This is the Haunted Mansion dress displayed with black petticoat as it's intended to be worn.

Here's the back of it so you can see the back center zip enclosure. You can also see the elastic in the side of the waistband.

And here's the inside to give you an idea how it's made.

One of the things that strikes you is the quality of the fabric. It's really well done. Care label warns to Dry Clean Only, but I think that's mostly to keep the color and spandex in good form. These are not cheap little sundresses you want to ball up in the wash and toss after a couple seasons.

I forgot to tell you, there are side pockets sewn into the skirt seams. And here's an idea of the accessories they're marketing with the dress.

Currently planning

Last edited by broganmc; 04-11-2017 at 04:47 PM.
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #22
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
Being a petite person myself (i.e. short), I feel your pain. That's one reason I got into sewing in the first place. Now there's rarely a garment I buy without modifying it in some way, particularly dresses and skirts. They're always too long. These dresses are no different. On someone 5'4"-5'7", they are around tea length (just below the knee). But for me, that becomes low mid-calf/high ankle length. I prefer my skirts at a 20-22" length, A line cut, so I make my own.

I was tempted to buy the Haunted Mansion dress for the material and then modify it for me. Shorten the skirt, add sleeves.

Anyway, I've uploaded some of the photos I took so you guys can have a closer look.

This is the Haunted Mansion dress displayed with black petticoat as it's intended to be worn.

Here's the back of it so you can see the back center zip enclosure. You can also see the elastic in the side of the waistband.

And here's the inside to give you an idea how it's made.

One of the things that strikes you is the quality of the fabric. It's really well done. Care label warns to Dry Clean Only, but I think that's mostly to keep the color and spandex in good form. These are not cheap little sundresses you want to ball up in the wash and toss after a couple seasons.

I forgot to tell you, there are side pockets sewn into the skirt seams.
I buy a lot of clothes at places that alter for free. I do not have the patience for sewing really so I adjust other ways. I'm average weight for my height, so I run into issues with clothing being too large as well. That part is harder to deal with than length. I liked a couple of the dresses but even for good quality I will not pay that if I have to alter the rest. Just too much work to do so.

Most dry clean items can handle hand washing. I do not like the chemicals of dry cleaning so I deal with those literally by hand now.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #23
broganmc
Grand Villa

This is the Pirates-inspired dress. You could pair it with a long sleeve bell sleeve top. And some boots.

And this is the Minnie Mouse dress. They have all kinds of cute accessories to go with it. Minnie ears, big bead necklaces and bracelets, little red purse, gloves. I like that 1940's style neckline.

This one is Belle inspired. Hard to tell from the photo (I thought it looked more Alice in Wonderland) but there's this pretty block print along the skirt of books and roses. Also notice the white petticoat that pairs with several dresses.

This one is for Alice.

Currently planning
Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
broganmc
Grand Villa

Besides the Haunted Mansion one, my favorite styling of dress is the Tower of Terror dress. It is just elegant enough to be worn outside of Disney yet gives you that secret thrill of being part of the theme.

When I make my own, I may begin with this style as my inspiration.

I'm actually sorry I didn't buy one. But we were off to meet up with friends and I meant to go back. I hope they stick around and do more. I can see the skirts themselves selling well.

I did see a woman walking through Disney Springs wearing one of them (the Minnie dress, I think). She looked so much more elegant than her friend. Really stands out.

Currently planning
Old 04-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #25
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Thanks again for the pictures, especially of the workmanship. I'll have to try them on, but since I'm so much taller than helenabear, I'll bet I can make them work! :
I think the Minnie might be my favorite, but the TOT and HM are close seconds. Can't wait to see them in person! Dumb question, but do you know if the store recognizes DVC or AP discounts? It never hurts to ask...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #26
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Thanks again for the pictures, especially of the workmanship. I'll have to try them on, but since I'm so much taller than helenabear, I'll bet I can make them work! :
I think the Minnie might be my favorite, but the TOT and HM are close seconds. Can't wait to see them in person! Dumb question, but do you know if the store recognizes DVC or AP discounts? It never hurts to ask...

You're killing me here! Though in this case it's the sizing. Let's just say my 9yo son's sweatshirts fit me perfectly it sucks to shop at Disney as it's often just S-XL (or more).
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #27
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
This is the Pirates-inspired dress. You could pair it with a long sleeve bell sleeve top. And some boots.

And this is the Minnie Mouse dress. They have all kinds of cute accessories to go with it. Minnie ears, big bead necklaces and bracelets, little red purse, gloves. I like that 1940's style neckline.

This one is Belle inspired. Hard to tell from the photo (I thought it looked more Alice in Wonderland) but there's this pretty block print along the skirt of books and roses. Also notice the white petticoat that pairs with several dresses.

This one is for Alice.

these
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #28
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post

You're killing me here! Though in this case it's the sizing. Let's just say my 9yo son's sweatshirts fit me perfectly it sucks to shop at Disney as it's often just S-XL (or more).
Their sizes don't always make sense, that's for sure! And you would think that some of their nicer things would actually be sized (2,4,6,etc) In my next life, all of their clothes are going to fit me perfectly!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #29
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Their sizes don't always make sense, that's for sure! And you would think that some of their nicer things would actually be sized (2,4,6,etc) In my next life, all of their clothes are going to fit me perfectly!
Oh definitely! I guess the only good thing is I happened to find one Tink sweatshirt in an XS that I could wear. Other than a skirt I bought at the GF in one of the shops (not a Disney shop) I haven't bought anything in years. Saves money I guess
Old 04-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #30
Meaghanqt
Grand Villa

I am not into usual Disney attire but I think that these dresses are an exception. I wear a lot of dresses when the weather is warm and think they are really pretty and classy. Thank you for the photos!
Meaghanqt is offline   Reply With Quote