home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Default Have to admit, I am getting nervous

We are supposed to leave next Thursday night, checking into the Grand Floridian with family for 9 nights, and Hurricane Irma is making me very nervous right now. DH and I are scheduled to fly out Thursday after work, and the grown kids and grandson were leaving at the crack of dawn on Friday--driving. The other set of Grandparents are leaving after noon on Friday and planning on arriving on Saturday.

I did not purchase trip insurance--never have--and for any trip to fall thru, this would not be the one where it should happen.

Just wanted to share some of my anxiety--and please no lectures on trip insurance at this point--I am upset enough. May consider it going forward, but too late for right now.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

We are in WDW the 5th-10th
I am trying to not worry about Irma. It looks like it's might rain the whole trip , but I'm hoping that's going to be the worst of it. It's really too early to get a good idea of where Irma is going. Hopefully it will stay out at sea. I think Harvey just has everyone a little on edge about hurricanes.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

My DVC Caste: Happy to be a Donald!
tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

I think DVC is pretty good about making adjustments due to hurricanes. They were very good to me with all the changes I made due to Harvey!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

It will be fine. Just remember to be flexible and go with the flow. What stresses me out is thinking things should go one way and it ends up not going that way....I always have to tell myself to chill.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
mybabesuz
Two Bedroom

Don't be nervous! You should be fine getting here next Thursday.
Storm is still 10 or 11 days away.
Last year we evacuated TO Disney during the hurricane!
We had a great day the day before the storm. Magic Kingdom was empty!
Spent one day stuck in the hotel. Best place to be stuck ever!
They had entertainment, snacks and fun. Wayyyy better than being home.
Your vacation is long enough that even if it hits it shouldn't affect you too much.
Of course we are still praying that the storm stays out in the ocean and doesn't bother anyone!
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Mass Transit
Two Bedroom

I keep reading that "the NWS will be watching the storm into the middle of September". I'm assuming that it's not going to be a fast mover into Florida. We're headed there from Massachusetts Sep 8-10 specifically for Food & Wine and after avoiding a potential Nurses' Union strike that weekend, we're really looking forward to traveling.
Good luck to all!.

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
MickeyFan787
Two Bedroom

From what I can see about the storm it shouldn't affect your traveling and once there - well from everything I have heard it is not a bad place to ride out a storm. I would not worry! Just keep calm and carry on - you can't do anything to change its path. I have had my eye on it as my parents are in Orlando next week - scheduled to fly out on Thursday - looks like it should not be an issue on Thursday.

Although, you may want to have the family that is driving in later keep watch in case they want to leave early. Good luck!
MickeyFan787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
Disneynut4sure
Studio

Yikes, we're coming the 9th to the 16th and hadn't even thought about that. I've been in rain many times there with my trusty poncho and hanging out in the buildings. .. I'm sure we will be fine. We are still looking forward to out trip rain or shine.

Disneynut4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

It's still too early to be sure, but I'm suspecting under most scenarios you'll get to WDW, and probably the rest of your group on Friday. Each time I check the map, it seem to curve a little further North at the long end of the forecast, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go up into the Atlantic rather than make a bee-line to Florida.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't disrupt your trip. I would think that if it does get to Florida after you get there, being at Disney would be minimally disruptive, perhaps a day off from the parks if the 2004 storms are any indicator.

But I get the anxiety. If I were going, I would be checking every update! Sending you pixie dust.

Dirk
Old 09-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

I'm in a similar situation - I have a business trip to Myrtle Beach, also leaving next Thursday. Luckily, I'm not paying for the trip so if the hurricane goes that way, I just stay home.

Here's hoping Irma stays out at sea!

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote