home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Jingojango
One Bedroom

Default Riding the Monorail with the doors open

Have you ever wanted to travel from MK to Epcot with the wind in your hair. Thanks to a 30 year old Mark VI Monorail that dream can come true.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnQ5nelGSG/

http://thedisneyblog.com/2018/01/09/...-train-motion/

I'm glad no toddlers were lost during this experiment.

You have to wonder if they plan to retire the monorail and replace with gondolas. They don't seem to be doing any investing in it.
Jingojango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

The person who took the video left some comments here. http://wdwnt.com/blog/2018/01/photos...orld/#comments
Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingojango View Post
Have you ever wanted to travel from MK to Epcot with the wind in your hair. Thanks to a 30 year old Mark VI Monorail that dream can come true.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnQ5nelGSG/

http://thedisneyblog.com/2018/01/09/...-train-motion/

I'm glad no toddlers were lost during this experiment.

You have to wonder if they plan to retire the monorail and replace with gondolas. They don't seem to be doing any investing in it.

We had a very knowledgeable bus driver during our trip over NYE who was talking all things Disney and history left and right our entire trip from DS to BLT.

One of the things he mentioned - loosely translated by me here - was that the company that made the monorails has since gone defunct and that Disney has purchased all things related to the monorails. No future monorails will be made and all repairs/parts are in Disney hands.

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
The person who took the video left some comments here. http://wdwnt.com/blog/2018/01/photos...orld/#comments
sidebar: The replies to her comments show exactly why I don't frequent other internet forums.
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
D C
Add-on Aficionado

How is that possible? The monorail system has been modernised!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
We had a very knowledgeable bus driver during our trip over NYE who was talking all things Disney and history left and right our entire trip from DS to BLT.

One of the things he mentioned - loosely translated by me here - was that the company that made the monorails has since gone defunct and that Disney has purchased all things related to the monorails. No future monorails will be made and all repairs/parts are in Disney hands.
Typical bus driver story.
Bombardier is alive and well and is still in the monorail business.
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...monorails.html
Old 01-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

people attacking HER for not using the emergency phone?

First -- I doubt many people even realize there's an emergency phone. I've been on the monorails a bunch and I still forget about those being there.

Second -- as long as no one was close to the door, I think I would rather wait until we got to Epcot for them to try and fix it. I'd hate to be stuck midway and have to sit there for hours while they try and get people off.

As an aside -- If I'm ever on a monorail and the door is having trouble staying shut, I'm just going to get off and catch a bus, boat or minnie van.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
jflatto
Grand Villa

This is part of Disney's new approach to speed up park entry. Now when you make the loop inside of Epcot before going to the Epcot station, you are given the opportunity to quickly rappel from the cabin and start your Epcot visit bypassing security and the ticket line.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
people attacking HER for not using the emergency phone?

First -- I doubt many people even realize there's an emergency phone. I've been on the monorails a bunch and I still forget about those being there.

Second -- as long as no one was close to the door, I think I would rather wait until we got to Epcot for them to try and fix it. I'd hate to be stuck midway and have to sit there for hours while they try and get people off.

As an aside -- If I'm ever on a monorail and the door is having trouble staying shut, I'm just going to get off and catch a bus, boat or minnie van.
I agree - I would not be happy with that. My biggest fear is falling. That would just do me in for the day.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I agree - I would not be happy with that. My biggest fear is falling. That would just do me in for the day.
I think that falling from a moving monorail would do most of us in for the day