home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default Early January vs. Spring Break Advice Needed

What to do when recovering from the flu? Why start planning your next Disney trip of course! DH and I are trying to decide if we should head to WDW for our 2019 trip during the first week of January or wait until spring break which is the 2nd full week in March for us. Here are the pros and cons of each:

1st week of January:
- much less expensive point wise
- cooler weather
- marathon crowds will be prevalent
- can be very cold
- middle of flu season (peak flu/winter illness time)
- some rides closed for refurbishment
- staff cutbacks until college program starts back up

Spring Break:
- a lot more points
- possibly higher crowds
- warmer but with more afternoon showers
- end of flu season

For anyone that has gone during both or either times, can you please weigh in? We have 2 younger kids, so we can’t just go with the flow yet. It’s coming, but we are a few years away from that. We don’t have a crystal ball, but we’d like to make an informed choice on which time we should go. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by TexasChick; 01-13-2018 at 12:37 PM.
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

I've done both times of year TexasChick with my kids. I feel your need to travel when school is off.

If you go in January it will be busy, but IMO not necessarily any more or less busy than Spring Break time. I just returned from being there over the marathon time. I didn't find it to impact our plans in anyway. Busy is busy when school is out and it is a holiday. As for weather I thought it was very cold this year compared to other years I've been over Christmas/NYE. Even the afternoons didn't really warm up.

To me I wouldn't say one is a better time to be there over the other. If points are the #1 concern, I'd go in early Jan when the points drop.

If points don't matter I'd go over Spring Break. Better weather and it might be a tad less busy, and I think less rides closed for refurbishment. Plus for me, by the time Spring Break rolls around, I'm ready for a break! I feel like Christmas/NYE can be a nice break at home because it is a longer break compared to Spring Break.

Sorry to not really be of much help. Just my two cents (so not worth much! haha)

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Normally Iíd say avoid Spring Break BUT thatís because our spring break always coincides with Easter Sunday (either the week before or week after). Going during those 2 weeks is a lot like being there for Christmas week. Extremely crowded and just not as much fun. Weíve been for both Christmas week and around Easter and Iíd take a Christmas week anytime over Easter. The crowds are generally nicer and on their best behavior - a lot more patient too, usually.

Since Easter is on 4/21 in 2019 Iíd say you should be ok going for your spring break!

Keep in mind that it can still be very chilly in March too! We went last year for MLK long weekend and the crowds werenít too bad. Florida had a cold snap and had cancelled the races I think the week before. Yes, it was cold for Florida but warm compared to NJ. Just need to prepare with a different wardrobe.

Hope this helps.

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

If it makes you feel better we had absolutely no rain at all during our spring break. It was chilly but definitely not as rainy as summer can be. The weather can be chilly but January can be much more so. I've only done later in Jan/Feb and those times were lower. Temps can be quite cool too during that time.

I enjoyed our spring break and would do it again. We opted not this year due to flights and stuff, but it wasn't because we didn't like it.

How old are the kids? Mine is 10 now and has been good with kind of going with the flow for a while. We went in with expectations of crowds and were met with less than expected. I think if you do spring break, just go in knowing what it could be. Truthfully based on what my friends said of this last week at Disney with crowds and such, I'd go for spring as it sounds less hectic.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
ocean702
Two Bedroom

So my opinion isnít worth anything since I havenít been at either time! Ha!
I suggest march because the weather will be nicer and you can relax at pools to take a break from crowds and it stays lighter later in the evenings than in January.
ocean702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I've done both times of year TexasChick with my kids. I feel your need to travel when school is off.

If you go in January it will be busy, but IMO not necessarily any more or less busy than Spring Break time. I just returned from being there over the marathon time. I didn't find it to impact our plans in anyway. Busy is busy when school is out and it is a holiday. As for weather I thought it was very cold this year compared to other years I've been over Christmas/NYE. Even the afternoons didn't really warm up.

To me I wouldn't say one is a better time to be there over the other. If points are the #1 concern, I'd go in early Jan when the points drop.

If points don't matter I'd go over Spring Break. Better weather and it might be a tad less busy, and I think less rides closed for refurbishment. Plus for me, by the time Spring Break rolls around, I'm ready for a break! I feel like Christmas/NYE can be a nice break at home because it is a longer break compared to Spring Break.

Sorry to not really be of much help. Just my two cents (so not worth much! haha)
The only thing really drawing me to January 2019 is the lower point cost. However, with a February UY, I would be borrowing points. In that vein, we plan on taking a Disney break from this trip until 2021, so I don't know that the higher point cost will matter as much since we don't plan on going in 2020. We are going to do some different trips in 2020 to "fill my void".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Normally I’d say avoid Spring Break BUT that’s because our spring break always coincides with Easter Sunday (either the week before or week after). Going during those 2 weeks is a lot like being there for Christmas week. Extremely crowded and just not as much fun. We’ve been for both Christmas week and around Easter and I’d take a Christmas week anytime over Easter. The crowds are generally nicer and on their best behavior - a lot more patient too, usually.

Since Easter is on 4/21 in 2019 I’d say you should be ok going for your spring break!

Keep in mind that it can still be very chilly in March too! We went last year for MLK long weekend and the crowds weren’t too bad. Florida had a cold snap and had cancelled the races I think the week before. Yes, it was cold for Florida but warm compared to NJ. Just need to prepare with a different wardrobe.

Hope this helps.
We went in March one year when we were in college and only brought shorts and tshirts, and it was highs of 60 degrees with lows in the 40s. Needless to say, lesson learned, and we made a trip to the outlets for some clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
If it makes you feel better we had absolutely no rain at all during our spring break. It was chilly but definitely not as rainy as summer can be. The weather can be chilly but January can be much more so. I've only done later in Jan/Feb and those times were lower. Temps can be quite cool too during that time.

I enjoyed our spring break and would do it again. We opted not this year due to flights and stuff, but it wasn't because we didn't like it.

How old are the kids? Mine is 10 now and has been good with kind of going with the flow for a while. We went in with expectations of crowds and were met with less than expected. I think if you do spring break, just go in knowing what it could be. Truthfully based on what my friends said of this last week at Disney with crowds and such, I'd go for spring as it sounds less hectic.
My kids are 4 and 6 and high maintenance. Their intelligence is 99% a blessing and 1% very difficult to manage. :/ I am thankful for it, but it is exhausting as well. My juvenile inquisitive nature is 100% in my son, and I now see why my parents got so tired of answering questions all the time. Bless them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean702 View Post
So my opinion isn’t worth anything since I haven’t been at either time! Ha!
I suggest march because the weather will be nicer and you can relax at pools to take a break from crowds and it stays lighter later in the evenings than in January.
I have thought about this as well. The parks did close pretty early some nights when we went later in January in 2017. I think the hours are quite a bit extended in March, and you bring up a good point about it being light for longer.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Last edited by TexasChick; 01-13-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: My typos are out of control here!
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So we just did New Years through marathon Saturday and I won't do it again. I have been at Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th and twice for Xmas (Dec 19-25)....and this NY/marathon week was the worst crowd wise we have ever experienced daily over the week. The other trips were bad a couple days but this NY/marathon trip was pretty bad every day. Add in the cold weather and illness (we didn't get sick but our friends did) and nope, never again. Actually, yesterday I went over UT's crowd calendar and wrote down all the red dates for 2018. I will avoid these dates every year from now on. March 11-31 is red....so if your spring break can cover some days prior to that....go for that. We go March 3-10 and I am glad no red. If you can do Jan 7-13 timeframe...do that. You are talking 2019 so would be Jan 6-14. If it's first week in Jan only that you can do...then I'd go with spring break. Just my thoughts.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV

Last edited by Lamima; 01-13-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Also, the pools were closed this Jan due to cold. So that crowded parks and dining venues more.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

We've only done one spring break by happenstance, since DH was on a work trip. We said never again...however, it was a long time ago, and with a 9 month old, and we hadn't been in several years prior, so that may have clouded all of it.
Considering that Easter is so late when you're considering, it really may not be that bad.
Our APs would be blocked out this year if we tried spring break though, DH was halfway looking to go with the kids (WITHOUT ME....so I"m secretly happy they were blocked out)
We checked wait times over the holidays, because we are that kind of addict, including the week after New Year's, and they were crazy, outrageous most days. But in prior years, seemed like they weren't so bad in January.
It can be pretty chilly at either time. That spring break trip, I remember having to buy sweatshirts and not being prepared for the cold/rainy weather

Last edited by Jedimom3; 01-13-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We tend to go to WDW at Christmas/NYE and tend to avoid January. We like to go in February, since that is the new January with crowds.

I really prefer the first two weeks in May and the 2nd week after Easter.