home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Default Anyone at Aulani during today's false alarm?

For about thirty minutes this morning, Hawaii was under a false alarm indicating that ballistic missiles were on their way, and I immediately thought about how scary that would be in any circumstance, much less while on vacation in a less-than-familiar surrounding.

Is anyone on the ground at Aulani today and able/willing to comment on how this was handled there?
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Oh my! Freaky Iím sure!
Donít like hearing this at all!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Ariel's Sister
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
For about thirty minutes this morning, Hawaii was under a false alarm indicating that ballistic missiles were on their way, and I immediately thought about how scary that would be in any circumstance, much less while on vacation in a less-than-familiar surrounding.

Is anyone on the ground at Aulani today and able/willing to comment on how this was handled there?
OK, at Aulani today. It was rather weird, reminiscent of air raid drills in the 60ís for those of us who remember. It was 8am here, so most folks were in their rooms. On one my friends got a text about the alert, I did not. There was no alarm sounded by the hotel. We ventured out in the hall, saw nothing and decided to go down the steps and head to the lobby. There were lots of folks milling about as the hotel staff first sent folks outside, then herded them back in. Most of the adults were calm, some kids were distressed, not understanding what was going on. Our gang decided to go outside on the Four Seasons side of the parking structure in order to put as much concrete between us and Honolulu. We never heard any alarms or announcements. We came back in when we saw (googled)CNN and other sources report that it was a false alarm. No word from the resort since. We are out on the North shore watch the waves. Will report anything else when we get back.
Glad to answer any questions.

MaryJane
Ariel's Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #4
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Thanks for the input. Your experience kind of reminds me when we were at AKV Jambo, with tornado warnings in towns just West, North and East of the resort. We chose to go downstairs where Boma was. Nothing, no instruction whatsoever came from the resort. A huge amount of people were in the lobby which I thought was silly because of the huge windows.
Keep us posted and enjoy your time there.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
clhlaptop
Grand Villa

I have family who lives near there. He said it was very scary. He has younger children. They tell you to seek shelter but he says most homes have no basement, like his, and there was not a shelter area. The highways were mobbed from what he heard but he said you are on an island so there is no place to go. He contacted me before they heard it was a mistake. He sent me a copy of the alerts he was being sent via his phone. Very scary.
clhlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
Rigby
Two Bedroom

I read on another site that Aulani evacuated people to a courtyard outside which is the opposite of what the alert said to do. Not sure if there's any truth to that but the story had screen shots of people's tweets saying that's what happened and that they were looking for explanations. So scary that this happened. How many people woke up on their wedding day in Hawaii to this nightmare? Yikes!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

I wonder if the need for planning for this type of scenario has been overlooked by Disney or if it is a staff training issue. Either way, it looks like something needs to be done in the event that there is another drill or worse. I sure do miss the days when we would spot a fallout shelter sign and have to explain to the kids what that signified and what drills were like back in our day! I never would have imagined that we would return to that
2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ AS; 1980s ~ FW, Cont.
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote