home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Default Using points at home resorts

So Iím thinking about doing a small direct purchase at CCV. My plan would be to stay there 1-2 nights and then move over to BR (our current home resort). So... should I buy the exact number of points needed at CCV to achieve the 1-2 nights or just buy 50? Iíd need either a 2 bed or 2 studios so could buy 50 points and have a few left over with a 1 night or increase to achieve 2 nights. How does booking work? At 11 months can I only use 50 points at that home resort. Assuming this is correct what happens to the odd few points I have left for that resort? If I bank them can I use more than the 50 points the following year at 11 months to book? Meaning the 50 + the odd few from the previous year.

I need help understanding how I use and buy points with 2 home resorts.

Thanks again!!
bradybunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradybunch View Post
So I’m thinking about doing a small direct purchase at CCV. My plan would be to stay there 1-2 nights and then move over to BR (our current home resort). So... should I buy the exact number of points needed at CCV to achieve the 1-2 nights or just buy 50? I’d need either a 2 bed or 2 studios so could buy 50 points and have a few left over with a 1 night or increase to achieve 2 nights. How does booking work? At 11 months can I only use 50 points at that home resort. Assuming this is correct what happens to the odd few points I have left for that resort? If I bank them can I use more than the 50 points the following year at 11 months to book? Meaning the 50 + the odd few from the previous year.

I need help understanding how I use and buy points with 2 home resorts.

Thanks again!!
Yes left over can be banked to next weekend use yr once. You can also borrow from next use yr to current use yr, so you can use 3 use yr points at once for a single reservation.

You can only use home resort points for 7-11 month booking, under 7 month you can combine different resort points in a single reservation.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Iím assuming the BR stands for Boulder Ridge the old VWL villas. For a 2 BR at either Copper Creek or Boulder Ridge youíre looking at 48-55 points each night if you go during the busy season. We make this trip every other year over Christmas week - a huge point hog!

You could end up with orphaned points! 50 points each year. You use 48 this year for 1 night so bank only 2 into next year. The following year youíd have 52 points - not enough for the 1 night IF it falls on Saturday or Sunday night but just enough for a 48 point room and then youíd bank 4 points that year.

You could bank and borrow every other year to string together 2 nights and then just bank the remainder.

Personally, while I enjoy split stays I donít think Iíd like to do a single night each year. Good luck with your decision!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VGC, VWL, SSR & OKW
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

You could buy the exact number of points should you wish for your 1 or 2 night stay. But DVC has done a couple of reallocations and some people's exact point purchase was thrown off by that However you can always use banking or borrowing to get the additional points you might need. If your plan is to go every year or even every other year you should be able to use the points Or use more of your points at 7 months and stay somewhere else if there weren't availability at 7 months at CCV.

I think you're buying the CCV just to get the direct benefits? And it wasn't necessarily the resort you planned on? I think I'd take the risk of reallocation and just buy the exact points I'm looking for since you'd otherwise be dealing with left over points. And it wouldn't be too often I recommend that but it's the route I'd go for a direct benefit based purchased in this case.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

If you just get 50 you can use banking and borrowing to book 2-3 nights every other year. If you can swing it, I'd suggest bumping up to cover two nights a year...or that could get you 4 nights every other.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
I’m assuming the BR stands for Boulder Ridge the old VWL villas. For a 2 BR at either Copper Creek or Boulder Ridge you’re looking at 48-55 points each night if you go during the busy season. We make this trip every other year over Christmas week - a huge point hog!

You could end up with orphaned points! 50 points each year. You use 48 this year for 1 night so bank only 2 into next year. The following year you’d have 52 points - not enough for the 1 night IF it falls on Saturday or Sunday night but just enough for a 48 point room and then you’d bank 4 points that year.

You could bank and borrow every other year to string together 2 nights and then just bank the remainder.

Personally, while I enjoy split stays I don’t think I’d like to do a single night each year. Good luck with your decision!
Yes, Villas at Wilderness Lodge... current plans are to travel during summer (kids in school and university). So mostly dream or magic season. I totally agree, 1 night would be a pain that’s why I’m thinking I should buy enough for 2 but the only reason I’m looking at this right now is the direct purchase deadline. We were going to do a small direct add-on just not yet. So now shifting my mindset from 25 points to 50 points and possibly more to get 2 nights at 11 months.

Last edited by bradybunch; 02-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Yes left over can be banked to next weekend use yr once. You can also borrow from next use yr to current use yr, so you can use 3 use yr points at once for a single reservation.

You can only use home resort points for 7-11 month booking, under 7 month you can combine different resort points in a single reservation.
Thanks for your help! If I book banking and borrowing and then switch to a different resort at 7 months what happens to the points? For example, we love AKL so if I book at CCV and Boulder Ridge as a split stay and then see availability at AKL at 7 months but we donít need as many points there what happens to the points I just banked/borrowed to stay at CCV? I hope you understand what Iím talking about!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
bradybunch
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
You could buy the exact number of points should you wish for your 1 or 2 night stay. But DVC has done a couple of reallocations and some people's exact point purchase was thrown off by that However you can always use banking or borrowing to get the additional points you might need. If your plan is to go every year or even every other year you should be able to use the points Or use more of your points at 7 months and stay somewhere else if there weren't availability at 7 months at CCV.

I think you're buying the CCV just to get the direct benefits? And it wasn't necessarily the resort you planned on? I think I'd take the risk of reallocation and just buy the exact points I'm looking for since you'd otherwise be dealing with left over points. And it wouldn't be too often I recommend that but it's the route I'd go for a direct benefit based purchased in this case.
Yes youíre right. I do love CCV and would buy there but wasnít planning on buying anything yet. DH loves Wilderness Lodge so itís not a second choice or compromise. Iíd buy there over SSR or OKW for example. So, emotional purchase, not just the best bang for our bucks. So you think we should round up to get 2 nights? Why wouldnít you normally recommend that? Thanks again! Youíve helped me a lot
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for your help! If I book banking and borrowing and then switch to a different resort at 7 months what happens to the points? For example, we love AKL so if I book at CCV and Boulder Ridge as a split stay and then see availability at AKL at 7 months but we donít need as many points there what happens to the points I just banked/borrowed to stay at CCV? I hope you understand what Iím talking about!
Banked or borrowed pts can not be return back to original use yr.

But good news is, the way reservation system takes pts. It will take banked first, borrowed second and current third. So if any pts left that will be current use yr pts which you can Bank forward.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Yes you’re right. I do love CCV and would buy there but wasn’t planning on buying anything yet. DH loves Wilderness Lodge so it’s not a second choice or compromise. I’d buy there over SSR or OKW for example. So, emotional purchase, not just the best bang for our bucks. So you think we should round up to get 2 nights? Why wouldn’t you normally recommend that? Thanks again! You’ve helped me a lot
Do not get carried away from not spending few extra dollar so can not enjoy completely. I purchased Grand Floridian direct when kids saw that first time they wanted the VGF. Since it was new and not much in market I bought what my family wanted. CCV is new and very small, when sold out you will see difficulty getting any thing in 7 month window. SSR is biggest resort and last to get sold.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI