home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Disney Land - what's new to try in last 5 years?

I have a 3 days trip planned tentatively to go see Disney Land - california with just hubby / me in April.

I am not sure I can get off work, as I started a new job.

So before I ask, can someone tell me what is cool / new to see at DL in last 5 years.

Trying to decide whether to ask if I can have time off.

Thanks, Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

In Disneyland? Not a ton but California Adventure is a much different park than it was 5 years ago. The new Guardians of the Galaxy ride (former Tower of Terror) is a blast.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
Sykes
Studio

Cars Land in California Adventure opened a little over five years ago. Did you get a chance to visit it on your last visit then that is a pretty big one.

A brief list of things that I can think of are:

1) The Grand Californian was renovated with a significantly different pool area.
2) The Tower of Terror is now Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! I miss the Twilight Zone theming a little, but they did a fantastic job on the ride.
3) The Condor Flats area of DCA was re-themed to Grizzly Peak Airfield and it (I think) looks a lot better. They updated Soarin' Over California to Soarin' Over the World film that they're using everywhere.
4) The Paint the Night Parade has been added. It's based on the parade from Hong Kong Disneyland, but they've added a couple of extra floats. On April 13th it'll debut at California Adventure (it was previously at Disneyland).
5) Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan's Flight, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad have been plussed up a bit. (I don't recall if the new BTMRR effects were added at Disney World after the 2016 renovation.)
6) There's a new fireworks show (Disneyland Forever) and an updated World of Color. If you're there after April 13th, then the fireworks will change again to a Pixar-themed show and the Pixar Play Parade will start in Disneyland.
7) Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad were rerouted to accommodate the Star Wars Land expansion. The DLRR has a pretty new trestle bridge.
8) Fantasmic! has been reimagined.

One note, however, is that there will also be significant refurbishments underway while you are there. They're re-paving chunks of Main Street, although that will be done by April 13th. All parades are on hold in Disneyland until they finish on April 13th. In DCA, Paradise Pier is becoming Pixar Pier, and significant chunks of that will have construction walls as well (and notably California Screamin' will be closed).
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Wink Oh thanks for all the updates

Ill Have to go and chrck my dates in april. I dont recall.

But i havent see cars land or gog.

So im hooing we can go.

Goldi
Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
MagicAllAroundUs
Studio

All of the above.. and also Aladdin has been replaced with Frozen in DCA. I miss Aladdin terribly (mostly the genie) but Frozen is also a must see.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Presley
Grand Villa

I think a large chunk of DCA will still be closed for updating in DCA. It's the paradise pier area including the roller coaster and all the smaller rides in that area.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking My dates are april 13-17

Still waiting to hear if we can go (from work).

I loved Aladdin, it was spectacular. But I'll enjoy Frozen too, I'm sure...

Goldi
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

If you liked the Guardians movie (and the elevator ride of course) I suggest trying to catch all 6 versions of the Guardians ride video. I managed to get 5 of 6 over 3 days thanks to MaxPass.

Note: A CM said there were 6 (as does Wikipedia); I assume this hasn't changed.

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Default what is maxpass?

Is maxpass like fastpass?

Sorry never heard of it...

Goldi
Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Is maxpass like fastpass?
It's half-way between the old paper FastPass tickets and the FastPass+ reservations that are at Disney World. You scan the barcodes for your ticket into your phone then for $10 extra per ticket per day, you can get FastPass reservations using your phone. You can only get FastPasses for the current day, and you must have entered the park on your ticket before you can make any reservations. It saves you the walk of going to the paper FastPass machines, and has the added benefit that you can cancel your FastPasses so that you can make new reservations if you change your mind. It also means that you can get FastPasses while you're in line for another ride, sitting down to dinner, etc. I found that it dramatically increased our efficiency on our last trip.

The paper FastPass machines are still available in Disneyland if you don't want to pay the extra $10 per ticket.