home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking HHI - any suggestions

So I'm going to HHI March 10-17 to see my daughter play tennis.

What is there to do in the area for adults, besides the DVC resort.

Also, I just tried to do online check-in, and it said there was a problem with my magic bands, and wouldn't allow me.

Does HHI use magic bands / online checkin?

Any good tips where to visit, do is appreciated.

We're flying into Charleston, and driving from there (I think maybe 2 hours?)

Any requests I should ask for... we have a 2BR. I don't like having to walk around too far... is there something near the pool area with an okay view.. opinions requested please.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Following along. I will be there March 26-31 and would love to see everyone's suggestions!!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

First, HHI doesn't use Magic Bands. That means that whenever you enter the resort area, there's a gate and you have to use your room card. Same with enterring your room. I don't know if they have on-line check in, since we love interacting with the CMs there, the nicest anywhere at Disney, so we've never been interested in on-line check in. As far as things to do, although we're only adults, no children, our idea of off-resort "excitement" is a stroll through nature at Sea Pines Forest Preserve, a visit to the beaches, visiting Coastal Discovery Museum, and maybe a trip to Dunkin Donuts. We've flown into Charleston a few times, just a few months ago as a matter of fact, and 2-2 1/2 hours seems right. A nice, easy airport to get around.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

You can do online check in but I think it's like 2 weeks out instead of what WDW allows (what like two months out?).

You can walk to the Marina for dining, bars and shopping. Scotts Fish Market is really good. And ask if they do a DVC member discount....some places do. Also might ask desk if they have any coupons or coupon books. Then, there is a quick drive in same Shelter Cove complex to where grocery, Kroger, is and shopping and dining. Poseidon is really good as is Beer World.

http://www.sheltercovetownecentre.com/

For location requests, I prefer top floor to cut out some noise. Also can request sound view though may not get it. We had it once and it was lovely. We also were on the pool once, our balcony overlooked water slide, and it was super noisy but that may not be as big an issue in March. I took my mom one March and it was windy chilly so not many folks used the pool.

Just FYI, elevators are in main building only and that has lockoffs they use for 1BR and studio guests. Not sure they put any 2BR guests there. So other buildings you'd need to walk up a lot of steps. If that is a problem, maybe request bottom floor....though since buildings are built up off ground you will still have some steps. Though not as bad as going up to third floor.

And secret tip. MB can work on gate entrance arm pad. Or mine did on our NYE 2016 trip. Will work on door and beach access gate. Just can't charge and desk can't fix any issues with them or give you a MB. You have to bring old one that is linked and active on MDE. Unless they blocked that in the past 14 months.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???

Last edited by Lamima; 02-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Nice - I'll take my old magic bands

Just wondering if there are any haunted houses, ships, or boating stuff to see while there.

Any aviation, or other cool stuff.

And if pool is cold, is hot tub still nice?

I will request the sound view you suggested, but what does that mean - is that a marsh view?

and are fireplaces only in Grand Villas?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Just wondering if there are any haunted houses, ships, or boating stuff to see while there.

Any aviation, or other cool stuff.

And if pool is cold, is hot tub still nice?

I will request the sound view you suggested, but what does that mean - is that a marsh view?

and are fireplaces only in Grand Villas?
Yes, sorry, marsh view. Firplaces are only in GV. Pools are heated, I believe. Not sure about other stuff in HH but you can go to Savannah for haunted tours and neat stuff. But maybe there is that kind of stuff in HH too.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- May 15-19 at HHI, Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and March 3-6 at BWV & 6-9 at ???
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

At HHI even if you online checkin, you will still need to stop at front desk to get the key card and they sometime also check credit card you put in online checkin.

You will be fine in any view, I prefer second floor so you can see far out from your balcony.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking Thanks Raj

Okay, I'll request second floor. Thanks Raj

Do you know if there are any tennis courts at HHI? (I'm wondering if my daughter can warm up with my SIL, who is ranked tennis player and can give her some tips).

Goldi
Old 02-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Okay, I'll request second floor. Thanks Raj

Do you know if there are any tennis courts at HHI? (I'm wondering if my daughter can warm up with my SIL, who is ranked tennis player and can give her some tips).

Goldi
No tennis court. You can jog or do other expercise, if you got car just head over to beach house and use beach house parking lot, in the morning parking lot should be empty.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #10
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Just to clarify and correct ......
YES, if you already have Magic Bands they WILL work at HHI .
We are owners at HHI, and have done it MANY times.
The bands (providing you already have them), will open the vehicle gate, your room, and beach house gates (entry to the beach house from the parking area and the beach) .
They will NOT work for charging purposes, nor will they give you magic bands when you check in . They will give you room cards .

Magic Bands WILL work at HHI for most things except charging to the room .

Been there ......done that.

(We have also used our "length of stay mugs" from WDW during a WDW /HHI split stay all the way up to HHI, and the mugs worked just fine at HHI !)

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote