home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Rocket Supply
Studio
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 76
Default DVCresale purchase - why we bought cheap points

I sound like a broken record, but I was doing some pricing here. Rack Rate for Poly lake for 8 nights is nearly $7,000.00 And that is without tickets or food.

We bought 150 resale for a total of under 12K (it was actually lower but using as an example). OK, our stay is 158 points, so add $150 in costs for the extra points needed. You can throw out all the other discounts for buying direct.

We will keep trying this approach every year, and worst case, BLT or even home resort. Those Rack Rate prices are scary. We used to be Pop Century people and actually paying about the same price for Poly. Our overall cost is about $8 a point when you factor in everything.

Off of my soapbox now, but cheap points have allowed us to stay at resorts we could normally not justify cost wise.
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa
 
Boundin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,748
Default

Of course. I recently calculated that I was staying in a Boardwalk View Studio for $127 per night during F&W. It's a no-brainer
__________________

Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...

5/21/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib
9/17/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas
BLT-BCV 12/29/2018-1/6/2019 Another New Year
5/25/2019 ? - Fantasy - ? Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
capeokw56
Two Bedroom
 
capeokw56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 563
Default

Thank you for posting this, it reminds me why I bought resale. Especially with all the scrambling going on with the increase to 75 point minimum for perks.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Rocket Supply
Studio
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 76
Default Isnt that the truth.....

we also stay during the F&W, when all you have to worry about is part tix (we bring in most of our food/drinks via local delivery - it is one very affordable vacation.
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,678
Default

We have been "cheap" point owners since 2006!

Twelve years later, we feel like we are robbing the bank for our DVC stays!

Even people who are buying Copper Creek today will feel like they got a bargain when they look back in 12 years from now.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post
we also stay during the F&W, when all you have to worry about is part tix (we bring in most of our food/drinks via local delivery - it is one very affordable vacation.
And what a worry those park tickets are now.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa
 
rowrbazzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: TX
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post
I sound like a broken record, but I was doing some pricing here. Rack Rate for Poly lake for 8 nights is nearly $7,000.00 And that is without tickets or food.

We bought 150 resale for a total of under 12K (it was actually lower but using as an example). OK, our stay is 158 points, so add $150 in costs for the extra points needed. You can throw out all the other discounts for buying direct.

We will keep trying this approach every year, and worst case, BLT or even home resort. Those Rack Rate prices are scary. We used to be Pop Century people and actually paying about the same price for Poly. Our overall cost is about $8 a point when you factor in everything.

Off of my soapbox now, but cheap points have allowed us to stay at resorts we could normally not justify cost wise.
Any points really. We bought Poly because that's where we wanted to stay and none of the "cheap point" resorts could both accommodate 5 in studios and have a long contract. At any rate, we're at a little over $9 per point so my cost for a night this summer is just shy of $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Even people who are buying Copper Creek today will feel like they got a bargain when they look back in 12 years from now.
Even Poly direct at $220 per point or whatever they're charging now would still be under $250/night - the price of a moderate.
__________________
rowrbazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Rocket Supply
Studio
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 76
Default Really we are staying for near free

you would think contract prices would have a straight line depreciation like any other asset, but not the case. Since the acquisition costs continue to increase my overall cost calculation is off.

Great minds here think alike - with regards to ticket prices - We are at that point just outside annual pass range. We normally stay 9 days and those last few days tickets are so cheap. We used to stay for 4 days and then after looking and sliding scale of ticket prices per day we realized the goal was to get the room cost down and also no more DDP.

We will on occasion have DDP for a short part of our reservation if we have multiple res numbers due to split stay.
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
Jasonv1
Grand Villa
 
Jasonv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,129
Default

Aulani provides a similar heart attack for prime periods.

A week in a 1 BR Poolside Garden View in June is about 320 points. Bear in mind the first 3 weeks of June are the "cheap" Hawaii summer month.

I priced out a cash room for our June stay and it was over 6K BEFORE taxes and parking. Based on my up front (resale) cost I'm paying about $2.25/point/year, plus subsidized dues of less than $6, so about $2640 "worth" of points for this stay. $377 a night is much easier to swallow.

Now I'll admit Aulani is pretty expensive during the summer, but when I only need to take about 3 week long DVC trips (requiring 6 years of points) to cover the cost of my contract it does make it much easier to justify.
__________________






My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
disney65
Add-on Aficionado
 
disney65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SouthEast, CT
Posts: 5,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We have been "cheap" point owners since 2006!

Twelve years later, we feel like we are robbing the bank for our DVC stays!

Even people who are buying Copper Creek today will feel like they got a bargain when they look back in 12 years from now.
I can probably sell my vgf direct purchase for same/more then I paid for after using so many yrs.
__________________
Home Resort: Aulani, BLT, VGF, VWL, BWV, AKL, OKW, SSR, HHI

My Trip Reports


2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software