home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Poly2017
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Resort reviews

Hi all,

I am helping my sister in law plan a first time vacation to disney and she is on a tight budget. I am a DVC member and stayed at many different resorts but the only value resort I have ever stayed at is Art of Animation. They are considering the all star resorts or pop century with two adults and two kids and was wondering if there is a better resort out of the 4? I am leaning about telling them pop century but wanted to get some feedback. Also is Coronado springs ok? the price isn't much more than the values.

thanks!
Poly2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Coronado has many more amenities seeing it's a convention center. I haven't been there yet so can't elaborate whether that takes away from the Disney feel. I have been to Pop and the All Stars. Pop all the way if she is only choosing from those. All Stars is very loud, since it constantly is housing "groups," meaning sporting, cheer, etc. I'd honestly recommend her checking out Davids Rentals to see if there is availability with any of the lower point DVC locations. So worth the effort not to be staying at a value. They are just too loud and rooms too small.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly2017 View Post
Hi all,

I am helping my sister in law plan a first time vacation to disney and she is on a tight budget. I am a DVC member and stayed at many different resorts but the only value resort I have ever stayed at is Art of Animation. They are considering the all star resorts or pop century with two adults and two kids and was wondering if there is a better resort out of the 4? I am leaning about telling them pop century but wanted to get some feedback. Also is Coronado springs ok? the price isn't much more than the values.

thanks!
Coronado is one of my favorite resorts out of the moderates. Honestly all the values feel the same to me and I'm not a fan, so I would go with Coronado (even if they are doing some construction near by - though it is very removed from the rest of the resort). So if you asked where I would stay? Coronado and skip the values.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Coronado has many more amenities seeing it's a convention center. I haven't been there yet so can't elaborate whether that takes away from the Disney feel. I have been to Pop and the All Stars. Pop all the way if she is only choosing from those. All Stars is very loud, since it constantly is housing "groups," meaning sporting, cheer, etc. I'd honestly recommend her checking out Davids Rentals to see if there is availability with any of the lower point DVC locations. So worth the effort not to be staying at a value. They are just too loud and rooms too small.
Problem with Coronado is its a construction zone right now.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks!
Welcome to MouseOwners!

In my opinion, the best Value resort is Art of Animation, followed by Pop Century, then the All star resorts.

In my opinion, for the Moderates, I would choose Port Orleans since the other two resorts are undergoing heavy construction.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

The Disney good neighbor resorts can be a good alternative if their budget is super tight and they are driving.

Do they qualify for a discount at Swan & dolphin or Military at Shades of Green?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #7
DisneyEater
Grand Villa

I have stayed at every level of resort in many different ones on many different budgets. I don't think values are too small for 4 people. They get the job done just fine.

I strongly preferred Pop over the All-Stars. I haven't stayed at Coronado but I would probably choose Pop just because construction.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
John2247
Two Bedroom

I would highly recommend Coronado Springs, construction zone or not.

John
Old 04-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Hi all,

thanks!
HMMM....they could go during the down time in points and stay standard view, at BWV, SSR, try for value at AKV or OKW. I would rent points off MO and probably go with one of those.
Of those choices, I would pick OKW for the two queen beds in the studio and lower points. Stalk the RTT boards, you can find points for 13 pp if patient. YOu could have her pay you, and transfer the points into your account.
The other option is to stay off disney, which I did my first three years down to WDW, we rented a condo and appreciated the space.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Pay10
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I have stayed at both Pop Century and All Stars. I would definitely go with Pop Century because the All Stars are always very crowded. I liked the All Star Movies theme way better than the Sports or Pop Century. While I'm not a huge fan of Pop Century's theme, there is still a lot of normal Disney stuff. Also, in my experience the bus waits are shorter and there is always slightly less people. Also, I think 2 of the hotels share a bus, whereas it's just one hotel at Pop Century.

Also, someone posted about sport groups staying there and it is honestly the worst. One time I went and there was a Brazilian Soccer tournament going on, and it was the worst experience I ever had at Disney. They were rude, blocked the lines, and I thanked my lucky stars that we weren't in the All Stars. (Fun Fact: Their group leaders would take all of their room keys, probably a stack of 200 at least, and get the paper fast passes. They literally cleared them out for the popular rides, sometimes for the whole day. Shortly after, they stopped doing paper fast passes.)
Pay10 is offline   Reply With Quote