home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Default Where are the Vero Beach owners?

So I am seriously considering adding on resale at Vero Beach. Originally thought I would be splitting time between OKW and VB but dam if I didnít run through 200 points to fast at WDW alone. This would be for use at Vero Beach but I am having difficulty finding info for availability ect...

Curious if anyone owns there strictly to use at vero for non WDW vacations.

Do you find that you want to return there annually?

We are looking for quiet beach vacations during college breaks- Early January, Easter, Memorial Day Labor Day ect...

Do you drive in or fly if so which airports and what carriers. I know that there is no transportation to resort ect...

How long do you normally stay? Would 4 day weekends be enough to relax or does the traveling make it difficult.

Do you have groceries delivered and actually use the kitchens in 1brm or are studios/Inn rooms sufficient, my understanding is there are a lack of resturtants within walking distance.

How difficult is spot on beach/pool are towels readily available at both locations ect...

Would you recommend it for older adults our beach activities consist of reading a book and an occasional dip in the water no boggie boards or water sports for for us 🤓

How is the ďaccessibilityĒ I do not usually take an accessible room because I donít require all of the accommodations but both CRO & DVC both make temporary room modifications for me- I prefer it this way as I will not take a fully modified room from someone that needs it more than I do) has anyone had this experience at VB? Most of my accommodations are null if there is a walk in shower in 1 bedrooms and elevators in buildings... I own at OKW and have never had an issue with 1st floor for medical reasons, do all buildings have elevators are there a problems getting 1st floor rooms or having temporary grab bars and shower benches placed? Will I need to bring my own?

I am aware of the higher maintenance fees and plan on going small, no more than 200 points to keep fees reasonable and within my budget- how often have you had special assessments added and how & when were your notified what were the options ect...

Lastl did you keep same U/Y or do you keep it completely separate from other contacts? My thought was different U/Y would be easier-to keep track of as it will be used for separate vacations or am I mistaken?

Any advice is appreciated but please keep in mind we do not plan on using the majority of points for WDW but may supplement occasionally instead of one time use points.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
taccol
Two Bedroom

I own there and tend to use my points to book popular/busy time at VBR in the home resort window. Feel Free to inbox me, if you'd like. My situation is a little different. I bought there because it is also my hometown. Great for family holiday gatherings/getaways...vacation, but near family. So, I'm biased when it comes to Vero Beach...I think it's the best-kept secret in Florida.

I would recommend flying into Orlando for anyone visiting. It's a very short drive over on the bee-line and down 95, coming in through the Fellsmere/Sebastian area (512). It is important to know that the VBR is not in Vero Beach proper, it is actually Wabasso (Wabasso beach)/ on Orchid Island. Y
There are plenty of stores and eateries within a 2=15 drive, very small town USA in that area, quiet town..lowkey.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Yes, we will be adding on at Disney's Vero Beach Resort.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccol View Post
I own there and tend to use my points to book popular/busy time at VBR in the home resort window. Feel Free to inbox me, if you'd like. My situation is a little different. I bought there because it is also my hometown. Great for family holiday gatherings/getaways...vacation, but near family. So, I'm biased when it comes to Vero Beach...I think it's the best-kept secret in Florida.

I would recommend flying into Orlando for anyone visiting. It's a very short drive over on the bee-line and down 95, coming in through the Fellsmere/Sebastian area (512). It is important to know that the VBR is not in Vero Beach proper, it is actually Wabasso (Wabasso beach)/ on Orchid Island. Y
There are plenty of stores and eateries within a 2=15 drive, very small town USA in that area, quiet town..lowkey.
Thanks, I will PM you... we normally drive down to Florida fiance hates planes and I can't stand Disney transportation lol...we are old and grouchy beyond our years.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We stayed there once, in Aug 2012, and I can tell you about Vero from that aspect. There is a restaurant and a neat lounge with food at the resort. There is a pool bar with some food and a quick service place. It is pretty isolated and you need to drive about 12-15 minutes, off the island, to get to grocery and restaurants. It is very natural and has lots of green vegetation and critters. They keep resort dark at night due to turtles nesting and when we were there we couldn't even access the beach at night. We would have to navigate snails all over the pathways at night...in dark...or we'd crunch them. And the day we left we had a huntsman spider the size of DH's hand on our van door and nobody wanted to get in (we even lost him in open door and had to drive to Universal all anxious he'd crawl on us). Things get real quiet pretty early. It is a very relaxing place. It, for us, is good for about 3 nights so you're 4 night trips would actually be ideal and not too short. The pool chairs and tables get saved early in the morning, by towels or a shoe and the such...like on a cruise) and are hard to find open ones. We sat on beach and brought our own beach chairs but you can rent from them. Didn't have trouble getting a spot on the beach. You cannot see the beach from the villas, only the ocean view inn rooms. There is a wall of that green vegetation blocking. If you get top floor and stand at railing you can see ocean but not much of the beach. I watched a grand villa tour on YouTube and it seems you can see beach from those but you cannot access the beach from those. The whole resort has a gate to access beach with a key card (same for pool).

I own HHI points. I use them almost exclusively at HHI. The dues are high and we recently got hit with an assessment due to hurricane damage. It was the first time since we bought in 2012.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 AKV/BLT and May 25-28 HHI

Last edited by Lamima; 08-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
We stayed there once, in Aug 2012, and I can tell you about Vero from that aspect. There is a restaurant and a neat lounge with food at the resort. There is a pool bar with some food and a quick service place. It is pretty isolated and you need to drive about 12-15 minutes, off the island, to get to grocery and restaurants. It is very natural and has lots of green vegetation and critters. They keep resort dark at night due to turtles nesting and when we were there we couldn't even access the beach at night. We would have to navigate snails all over the pathways at night...in dark...or we'd crunch them. And the day we left we had a huntsman spider the size of DH's hand on our van door and nobody wanted to get in (we even lost him in open door and had to drive to Universal all anxious he'd crawl on us). Things get real quiet pretty early. It is a very relaxing place. It, for us, is good for about 3 nights so you're 4 night trips would actually be ideal and not too short. The pool chairs and tables get saved early in the morning, by towels or a shoe and the such...like on a cruise) and are hard to find open ones. We sat on beach and brought our own beach chairs but you can rent from them. Didn't have trouble getting a spot on the beach. You cannot see the beach from the villas, only the ocean view inn rooms. There is a wall of that green vegetation blocking. If you get top floor and stand at railing you can see ocean but not much of the beach. I watched a grand villa tour on YouTube and it seems you can see beach from those but you cannot access the beach from those. The whole resort has a gate to access beach with a key card (same for pool).

I own HHI points. I use them almost exclusively at HHI. The dues are high and we recently got hit with an assessment due to hurricane damage. It was the first time since we bought in 2012.
Since we retired to Tennessee from New York I have found that spiders and most bugs come in ridiculous sizes...To be honest I would not have gotten into the van until it was dead! My fiance has to go out and clear the back deck every morning. I won't even open the door to let the dog out before they are gone.

How did they handle the assessment fees? Was it lumped in with annual dues?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen99 View Post
Since we retired to Tennessee from New York I have found that spiders and most bugs come in ridiculous sizes...To be honest I would not have gotten into the van until it was dead! My fiance has to go out and clear the back deck every morning. I won't even open the door to let the dog out before they are gone.

How did they handle the assessment fees? Was it lumped in with annual dues?
We noticed the spider on our open van door. Nobody wanted to mush it or swat it, it was sooooo big. We did spray it with deet bug spray and it scurried off into the door crevices. We closed the door up and never found it. Blech. We moved to NC from MD and have similar here. Take dog out to potty at night and have to swing his leash in my path to knock down the webs.

The HHI assessment just rolled into our dues so they jumped up. It's jumped the past two years and should even off at some point soon. It was like 6.7% last year and then 6% this year. Typical increase is around 3%+/- a little.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 AKV/BLT and May 25-28 HHI

Last edited by Lamima; 08-19-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Quote:
We noticed the spider on our open van door. Nobody wanted to mush it or swat it, it was sooooo big. We did spray it with deet bug spray and it scurried off into the door crevices. We closed the door up and never found it. Blech. We moved to NC from MD and have similar here. Take dog out to potty at night and have to swing his leash in my path to knock down the webs.

The HHI assessment just rolled into our dues that jumped up. It's jumped the past two years and should even off at some point soon. It was like 6.7% last year and then 6% this year. Typical increase is around 3%+/- a little.
Thanks that explains the whole assessment question- as long as I can pay it in Late December iím good.

Just made the honey swat the front door ones!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

The HHI assessment just rolled into our dues that jumped up. It's jumped the past two years and should even off at some point soon. It was like 6.7% last year and then 6% this year. Typical increase is around 3%+/- a little.
My spiders and I have an understanding. 1. They canít come in the house. Breaking that rule carries a death sentence. 2. As long as their outside webs arenít in my way, I let them hang out and eat bugs. If they get in my way, I move them. I actually have a couple of really pretty orb weavers in the barn. But their webs are in areas that donít interfere with me or my chores so I donít bother them.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:

How does VB compare to HHI? We have stayed at HHI and really like it there - have thought about adding on there - especially since kids are really into tennis. Waiting for next recession to buy there