home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default Space Ship Earth Rumored to close for 2 years

Posted WDW News today....

A few weeks ago, we told you there were rumors that Spaceship Earth at Epcot would once again be reimagined, this time as part of the ongoing overhaul of the park to make it “more timeless, more relevant, more family friendly, and more Disney.” Some new details have emerged on the project that reveal the massive scope of the park overhaul, and that we won’t be able to take a ride through the grand and miraculous attraction for quite some time once things get underway.

While the concept art is now out-of-date and not accurate to what the project will actually entail, Disney is still moving forward with a complete overhaul of the park entrance and central area of Future World as part of “Project Gamma” (as Walt Disney Imagineering is calling it). Included in this project will be the overhaul of Spaceship Earth, as well as a lot of new and interesting changes for the main thoroughfare of the park that are still very much in development.

As far as Spaceship Earth is concerned, the overhaul will be so thorough that it will require the ride to close from early 2020 until the parks 40th anniversary in the second half of 2022. That’s basically two and half years without Spaceship Earth in our lives. Why would a project like this take so long? Well, needless to say, there’s a lot to it. Spaceship Earth is aging and it is about time for the entire ride track to be overhauled. As well, Disney will use this opportunity to extend the length of the attraction with new load and unload areas that may not be in the same places that they are now. It also sounds like the current post-show building that houses Project Tomorrow will be removed and an entirely new structure built. It is quite the project in scale and scope, as you can see.

As we previously reported, the ride inside of Spaceship Earth will see a refreshing of all scenes leading up to the Industrial Revolution portion (where newspapers are being printed as a young boy sells them steps away), with changes on a grand scale coming to every scene following that, all the way to the end of the ride. Sources also indicate that the scene in the dome at the top of the attraction where guests look back at Earth from space will be drastically reimagined utilizing the latest in projection mapping technologies. As far as the exterior of Spaceship Earth, they will indeed be working on setting-up projection mapping there as well, covering the entire geodesic sphere with projections during the ride’s lengthy downtime and the redevelopment of the area around it. It should make for quite the nighttime display.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Posted WDW News today....

As far as Spaceship Earth is concerned, the overhaul will be so thorough that it will require the ride to close from early 2020 until the parks 40th anniversary in the second half of 2022. That’s basically two and half years without Spaceship Earth in our lives. Why would a project like this take so long? Well, needless to say, there’s a lot to it. Spaceship Earth is aging and it is about time for the entire ride track to be overhauled. As well, Disney will use this opportunity to extend the length of the attraction with new load and unload areas that may not be in the same places that they are now. It also sounds like the current post-show building that houses Project Tomorrow will be removed and an entirely new structure built. It is quite the project in scale and scope, as you can see.
YES!!! So necessary!
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Closing when? (Do we know?)
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
YES!!! So necessary!
I never really liked this ride, so I welcome a revamp.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Closing when? (Do we know?)
the article says early 2020 - mid 2022
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

This is one of my favorite rides, but it does need updating.

While I love having Woz in there (and really do hope they keep him), representing the "latest" in computer technology with Apple IIe (or something much like it), is definitely due for an overhaul

Cheers.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

Yep, agreed. Whole definitely a favorite I’ll miss while it’s down, the changes do sound intriguing. Here’s hoping this is a positive.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Same here!

Every time I see the telephone operators at the switchboard I think of my mother. She would tell us how she used to leave high school early every day to go to the telephone office to help work the switchboard during WWII.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Love the ride a lot - but yes, it really needs updating.

Oddly I hated it the first time I rode it. I thought it would be more like Space Mt. and boy was I surprised. Ever since they changed the end scene and took away the city I haven't loved it as much anyway. But like many rides, I still love it. I'll miss Rome the most.

So I'm totally open to change.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:

While I love having Woz in there (and really do hope they keep him), representing the "latest" in computer technology with Apple IIe (or something much like it), is definitely due for an overhaul

Cheers.
agreed ... like the 5 - 10 minute AC break (though it was never real cold!)