home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
momeja
Grand Villa

Default First timer renting out question

I'm renting out points to friends and have a stupid question about it. You know how the form asks if the people on the reservation are owners or not, well, does it matter if there's no owner on the reservation? In other words, does my name need to be on the reservation, too, or can it just be my friends' names?

I already booked the reservation with my name on it just to be safe, but I want to know before I take my name off if it will affect the reservation, and I also want to know for the future.

Also, any other tips, suggestions for renting out points would be welcome. Thanks.

momeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

no, your name didn't have to be on the reservation.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
Spartan86
Studio

As was said, no you don’t need to be on the reservation. You may make a reservation for whom you wish be they member or not. I’m not sure what the check box question is there for - if I stay on my friend’s points what is different because I happen to also own? I think nothing?
Spartan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
momeja
Grand Villa

Thanks. Yeah, that box is weird. I'd never thought about it before I set up the reservation.

Any other first time renting out tips for me?

Old 11-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

Default renting tips

Make sure you put the address for each person on the reservation information so they get their magic bands and Magical Express mailings at their house(s).

It's exciting to get the magic bands in the mail.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
momeja
Grand Villa

Just changed it to her address. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
skelster
Two Bedroom

Default Expert

Hi,

You will be an expert if you keep renting your points. Pretty easy.. and everyone gave you good pointers
skelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan86 View Post
Iím not sure what the check box question is there for - if I stay on my friendís points what is different because I happen to also own? I think nothing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by momeja View Post
Thanks. Yeah, that box is weird. I'd never thought about it before I set up the reservation.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a damage liability thing. I'd think that when they contact the points owner in the case of damage, the info they would provide might be different if you were there when the damage happened versus if you weren't (and likely didn't know anything about it). Just a guess.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
The.disney.couple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeja View Post
I'm renting out points to friends and have a stupid question about it. You know how the form asks if the people on the reservation are owners or not, well, does it matter if there's no owner on the reservation? In other words, does my name need to be on the reservation, too, or can it just be my friends' names?

I already booked the reservation with my name on it just to be safe, but I want to know before I take my name off if it will affect the reservation, and I also want to know for the future.

Also, any other tips, suggestions for renting out points would be welcome. Thanks.
I also think it might be for marketing , my friend and I were staying at the grand Californian and we were on points (members) and they were cash (non members) they received a paper under their door the last night with an offer for a DVC tour and that they would get a $100 gift card just for taking the tour. Just a speculation though. I also like the liability speculation from brp
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

I think the box is just a data collector.
Maybe they can target them for DVC adds.
Maybe they can look for a bad link in the membership system.
Get them purple mickeys at the turnstyle.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote