home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
kdkrenek
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default One dinner to choose between: Cape May, The Turf Club, or Ale & Compass

We have one table service left and looking for a nice meal for our 20th anniversary. What would you choose and why? Thanks for your help!
kdkrenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdkrenek View Post
We have one table service left and looking for a nice meal for our 20th anniversary. What would you choose and why? Thanks for your help!

Cape May is a buffet......so that would be an automatic no go for me. The Ale & Compass is more on the casual lounge food side. Turf Club will have more traditional dining options.

The other two choices would work, depends on your tastes for food. I would choose Turf Club because of the slow relaxed dinner pace that could be had. But if you are staying in the Epcot area, I would choose the Ale & Compass.

We ate dinner a few weeks ago at BlueZoo and highly recommend giving that restaurant a look.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Orion54
One Bedroom

Ale & Compass was a one and done for us. Food was below average especially for the cost. Cape May is good but not if you want a quiet anniversary dinner. Never been to Turf club. I've heard Bluezoo is really good. Todd English has good retaurants.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
ajc
Grand Villa

If you are using the DDP I think Blue Zoo not on the plan.
I always wanted to try Turf Club's prime rib but Sanaa is more my taste for quiet dining (with animals) but off the beaten path.
If you have access to MK try Skipper Canteen in the Explorers/Library (ask for the butterfly booth) the food is awesome and adventurous. They serve wine and beer with meals.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

For the money and quality, I would go with Turf Club.

For a special celebration, I would try something else instead - If you are willing to go to SSR for Turf Club, go to DS instead and try on of their places. I love The Boathouse, and there are plenty of other new options to try, too.

It might help if you shared what you were looking for and why your list includes only those three places. If it's to try someplace you haven't been, then definitely TC.

Ale & Compass constantly comes back as overrated and over priced and Cape May just isn't special enough for an anniversary unless you really, really, really want to dine there and characters are your thing.

Dirk
Old 11-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Myself...I have Ale and Compass booked for Jan lunch. Want to try it out. Went to the old place, Captain's Grill, once for dinner and it was okay. Never been to Turf Club but SIL has been and did not like it. She also didn't like Captain's Grill so I gather it's similar to Ale and Compass. Been to Cape May about 6 times for dinner and I am not a fan. I love seafood but CM is banquet quality not oceanfront 4 star seafood. But the price is almost like the oceanfront 4 star.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Myself...I have Ale and Compass booked for Jan lunch. Want to try it out. Went to the old place, Captain's Grill, once for dinner and it was okay. Never been to Turf Club but SIL has been and did not like it. She also didn't like Captain's Grill so I gather it's similar to Ale and Compass. Been to Cape May about 6 times for dinner and I am not a fan. I love seafood but CM is banquet quality not oceanfront 4 star seafood. But the price is almost like the oceanfront 4 star.

Ale & Compass is just an expended Captain's grill.....its good for what it is, but should not be confused with the higher level table services in WDW.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
For a special celebration, I would try something else instead - If you are willing to go to SSR for Turf Club, go to DS instead and try on of their places. I love The Boathouse, and there are plenty of other new options to try, too.

It might help if you shared what you were looking for and why your list includes only those three places. If it's to try someplace you haven't been, then definitely TC.

Disney Springs does have a few awesome restaurants perfect for an anniversary dinner.

I should have asked why those three choices too.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
legenza99

Ironically I have the exact same question as the poster but I don't have the restaurant short list figured out. We will be at WDW in May staying at Poly and I'm trying to decide where to go for a somewhat special dinner for our 20th anniversary. I say somewhat special because we will have our 13 year old with us so not exactly a romantic dinner for two and the husband is a fairly picky eater so places with really exotic menus are off the list. I also don't want to spend a ton of money for mediocre food. I'd rather go less fancy (then I don't have to pack fancy clothes either!) but have decent food, service, atmosphere, etc. We are only planning on hitting one park, Epcot, during this trip so that excludes restaurants at the other parks. We ate at Yachtsman a few years ago and thought it was just OK so not looking to go back there. We rarely ever eat at any of the table service restaurants when we visit WDW and aren't really foodies. I'd love to hear suggestions for the best places at Epcot ( though I'm not sure I want to take up my time at Epcot with a sit down dinner) or the resorts. We don't have the dining plan so that isn't a restriction. Any input is appreciated!
legenza99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
kdkrenek

You guys/gals are really giving me some great info! We are looking at Cape May, The Turf Club, or Ale & Compass, because of the steak and seafood options also they are all one table service. Disney Springs is already on our list with a dinner at Ragland Road on another night. The Disney Springs Italian and Mexican food places were just ok a few years ago, so we wanted to try something different.

We are open to other resort/park locations if ya'll have other suggestions. Thanks!
kdkrenek is offline   Reply With Quote