home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom
 
OffToTheMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Default Rental process timelapse

I am a renter of my points. I rent enough to pay all my dues and use the rest. After years of renting I mostly use a service like the MO sponsor. They are great with a great service. Finding a match usually takes 2-3 days. And that is just with SSR points. All my rentals have been for other resorts withing the 7 month window.

Yes, I am leaving money on the table to do this. I was wondering how long do those that do it themselves take to pair up and complete the txn? Obviously you need to be quick and monitor the boards. And be priced right. Then there is the background checking on both sides. Usually the renter makes sure you are legit. Contract signing. Contract mailings. Payment processing. Etc

So what are the typical time expectations for this transaction.

Time to find a renter (monitoring the board)
Hit rate with your PM (how many it usually takes to get a hook) ((Obviously timing is everything))
Time to turnaround contract (With snail mail, unless you do other means)
Time to Collect Funds. (This is usually a paypal so likely fast)
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa
 
DVCERSINCEDAY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,844
Default

perhaps you'll get insights from replies, but i think there are too many variables/contingencies in this process to offer any "answers" for these questions.
__________________
OKW, BCV, BWV, VWL, AKL

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 30,830
Default

Quote:
Time to find a renter (monitoring the board)

1-2 weeks, usually days


Quote:
Hit rate with your PM (how many it usually takes to get a hook) ((Obviously timing is everything))

multi per day


Quote:
Time to turnaround contract (With snail mail, unless you do other means)
Time to Collect Funds. (This is usually a paypal so likely fast)

I require payment after I complete the rental agreement and forward the secured reservation. I take check or paypal.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado
 
Shewill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
I am a renter of my points. I rent enough to pay all my dues and use the rest. After years of renting I mostly use a service like the MO sponsor. They are great with a great service. Finding a match usually takes 2-3 days. And that is just with SSR points. All my rentals have been for other resorts withing the 7 month window.

Yes, I am leaving money on the table to do this. I was wondering how long do those that do it themselves take to pair up and complete the txn? Obviously you need to be quick and monitor the boards. And be priced right. Then there is the background checking on both sides. Usually the renter makes sure you are legit. Contract signing. Contract mailings. Payment processing. Etc

So what are the typical time expectations for this transaction.

Time to find a renter (monitoring the board)
Hit rate with your PM (how many it usually takes to get a hook) ((Obviously timing is everything))
Time to turnaround contract (With snail mail, unless you do other means)
Time to Collect Funds. (This is usually a paypal so likely fast)

It takes longer to rent your self. One trick many owners who rent points do is find and maintain a list of regular renters who go frequently . Repeaters will cut down the process town considerably .
My turn around time for renting is.

I contact an owner I rent from this list around 13 months out. . He tells me if he has points this year . If so At 11 months he or she makes reservation. I put the check in the mail for the entire amount the same day reservation shows up in MDE .

He lets me know once check is cleared . All done for 11 months . The next year I start process over again.

I expect there are many regulars who do the exact same thing .

The process is more complicated with those not familiar with the process. But for regulars it generally works smoothly year after year.

Last edited by Shewill; 11-09-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom
 
OffToTheMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
perhaps you'll get insights from replies, but i think there are too many variables/contingencies in this process to offer any "answers" for these questions.
Once again, people should not be made afraid to ask questions. Thanks for your post tho but you can say nothing if convinced it has no merit. Plenty of insight already. Or are you secretly subscribing? I feel so.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Redhead58
Two Bedroom
 
Redhead58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
I am a renter of my points. I rent enough to pay all my dues and use the rest.

Time to find a renter (monitoring the board)
Hit rate with your PM (how many it usually takes to get a hook) ((Obviously timing is everything))
Time to turnaround contract (With snail mail, unless you do other means)
Time to Collect Funds. (This is usually a paypal so likely fast)
I rent points but only if I am not using mine one year (or two.) My goal is to get enough to cover maintenance fees also.

It usually only takes a week for the whole process. It goes faster if the renter is experienced with both renting and Disney. I do have a few regulars who both reference for me and come back every year or so to see if I am renting again. It is very easy when I rent to them and only usually takes a day to finalize and get payment. Sometimes I don't have points to rent and so I refer them to someone I know (because once upon a time, I too rented from someone else. )
__________________
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa
 
DVCERSINCEDAY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
Once again, people should not be made afraid to ask questions. Thanks for your post tho but you can say nothing if convinced it has no merit. Plenty of insight already. Or are you secretly subscribing? I feel so.
no offense was intended here. replies may offer insights that are already pretty obvious. maybe you'll summarize new insights for us later.

quicker rentals - through broker, cheaper price, more popular resorts, popular/limited villa categories (e.g., value, standard at bwv, concierge), require no deposit, give a payment plan, more popular times, take paypal/credit card, more rental experience, contract, references.

so far, you have time to complete the whole process coming in at one week to 13 months.
__________________
OKW, BCV, BWV, VWL, AKL

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )

Last edited by DVCERSINCEDAY1; 11-09-2018 at 01:26 PM.
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software