home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Default Stay at Rental house or in DVC on property? Where or stay ?

A new member is trying to decide to stay on property or a rent a home by owner off property

It is a family of four adult and two children under 10 . ( parents, grandparents and two children). They need two full sized beds ( not sofa sleeper ) and two
Bathrooms .

The dates are four nights in middle Jan 2020.
They will drive down from Illinois .

Her choices have been narrowed

Renting rental house off property with pool and three bed rooms two full bath

art of Amination family suite value

Renting pts for DVC two bedroom ( prefers premium) she found an owner who rents bwv for $16 a pt

The first two are similar in price with dvc being quite a bit more

So what would you suggest ?

Does staying on property really matter any more ?
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Since they'll have a car I do think it opens up the options to off site.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

My first choice would always be to stay on property. I just like being in the bubble and even when we would drive from Miami to WDW, we never used our vehicle once there, but that was just our preference. I have never stayed at AoA, and it probably wouldn't be my first choice, but if the savings over BWV DVC is quite significant, then I think it would be a fine option.

It also depends on whether the family would like to have a full kitchen and plans to do some meals "at home." I just took a quick look at the AoA family suites and it looks like they only have kitchenettes. If they plan to cook, then the rental house or BWV 2 bedroom would be the better option.

I am going to assume that the pool at the rental house is not heated (unless maybe it is a community pool). Growing up in Miami, our pool was not heated and we never swam in January because the water was too cold. So I would consider that as well.

If they can swing the added cost, I would recommend staying at BWV. Being able to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios is really a huge advantage to me.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Well we are DVC members, so we paid a premium to be onsite and stay Deluxe so that is always my 1st choice.
Pool heat is extra, parking is extra, driving into parks everyday. Having to come and go together. 4 days is a short trip.

I would get the 2 bedroom at BWV and save money by preparing meals in the full kitchen. Meals will be expensive for 6 people so no kitchen is not an option for me when we have a larger group.
Also with SW slated to be open the restaurants will be packed and offsite loses the booking advantage.

So for me:
1.BWV
2. Offsite
3. AOA
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

I used to say stay on property . When the kids were young before there were valuesnor even moderates we always stayed off property . $150 for a room at Polly seems outlandish when off property rooms were $29.50 a room.

I hated the drive back to the room after a long day at the park .i never felt safe . It frequently got lost trying to find the room.

On property had early entry and free parking . Gradually we started only staying on property .

But now it is hard to justify a value wdw room over a luxury rental house with a plenty of room and bathrooms .

Does the magic justify the price any more ?
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

The only issue off property is that you will have to rely on the car to get around or do Lyft or Uber if the party does want to break apart. Otherwise it is my choice.

BWV has no dedicated 2 bedrooms so someone I think will have the sofa.

AoA is my last choice.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

We just did a rental house, in June, for week after our week at DVC. Had not done a rental house since 2001. DH does not like driving in.. however, this was going to be a different scenario:
DH and kids were staying while I flew home (didn't have enough leave)
DH would work 2 of the days, and wanted to let kids swim while he worked, Also easy to have cheap meals in house, or off site, fast food, grocery etc is easy to get to
I was shocked that he wanted to rent a house given how much he loves using Disney transportation, but with these logistics, It made sense.
The above were all Pros. Plus enough bedrooms, communal space, etc

Cons:
Still driving in. Also, need to consider that everyone could be arriving/leaving together. No way to just hop on Disney bus if grandparents get tired. However, DH does not use Uber/Lyft, so if they're ok with that service, then this wouldn't be a big issue, but something to consider
Also harder to say go in the AM, back to house offsite, then back in the evening. Not impossible, but another consideration.

First night in house, I was nervous...house next door was unoccupied, overgrown, etc. and house down the road had loud teens outside, etc. DH said he was fine there and felt more comfortable after that first impression (and a couple more nights) . But you are out of the Disney bubble FOR SURE!

If this is like their first trip in a long time, and it will be awhile until they return, I'd vote for on site. If not, offsite house was fine. But t will most definitely not be getting a magical Disney vibe doing this.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Also harder to say go in the AM, back to house offsite, then back in the evening. Not impossible, but another consideration.
Back when we'd do offsite we'd still do this break for the afternoon, hotel shuttle busback to the resort, shuttle back to WDW for evening and eventually shuttle home. Other than it not being every 20 minutes it wasn't necessarily that much longer of a ride. And it's pretty much what we still do onsite.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
I used to say stay on property . When the kids were young before there were valuesnor even moderates we always stayed off property . $150 for a room at Polly seems outlandish when off property rooms were $29.50 a room.

I hated the drive back to the room after a long day at the park .i never felt safe . It frequently got lost trying to find the room.

On property had early entry and free parking . Gradually we started only staying on property .

But now it is hard to justify a value wdw room over a luxury rental house with a plenty of room and bathrooms .

Does the magic justify the price any more ?
"Does the magic justify the price any more?" As you know the answer to this is so incredibly subjective, because what's most important to each individual person on a vacation is so individual.

Do they want space?
Do they want privacy?
Do they want a resort? OR do they prefer a private home? They each have a completely different feel.
Do they want to be able to cook meals to save money on food?
And the list can go on....

For me, I'd rather say on-site. And that would be my recommendation. Onsite is the most expensive option.

For my vacation I'd prefer to be at a resort, not in a private house in an unknown neighborhood. A resort has some type of expectation, a house may or may not meet my expectation (lord knows I've rented houses that did not meet my expectation even though the pictures looked fine) I enjoy the restaurants on property and I enjoy the flexibility to drive or take Disney transportation. I'm not a huge fan of Uber/Lyft and very rarely use them/prefer not to use them (I know, I'm strange that way, right?)

If budget is an issue, I would point them in the direction of something off-site.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
bubster
Grand Villa

I am going to say on-site all the way. That daily parking fee irks the crap outta me so I'm even saying DVC because of the resort parking fee too.

Someone was correct about BWV only having studio lock-offs but it still will
provide 2 real beds, a king and a queen, 2 sleeper sofas and 2 full bathrooms.

I know you said premium but considering that they could pay less at OKW or SSR standard and get 3 real beds and 2 bathrooms and be on-site. They could even book Sunday-Thursday and save points by avoiding the weekend premium. Park the car at the door/building.

We have stayed off-site plenty in the past and it is less than magical. I'd much rather stay anywhere DVC or even value resort than off-site again.