home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
viennamom
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Boulder Ridge vs Wilderness Lodge vc FW

Greetings All-

I was hoping some folks could share their opinions about BRV, WL and FW Cabins. My husband and I visited WL during our December trip and as soon as we walked up to the door we knew we wanted to stay there. Well, fast forward a few months and we'll be back in the World. I'm waffling between the 3 resorts for a variety of reasons. I understand FW Cabins are not at WL but are in the same area and the price is a better. I can get the free dining for the WL with a nature view bunk bed, rents points or also get the free dining with BRV studio or free dining also with the FW Cabins. I like the idea of the bund beds and being directly at WL for the "feeling", the price of BRV is a bonus factor and the perks of DVC renting i.e. laundry, and as mentioned above the cabins for price. We are a family of four with 2 DD aged 15 ad 10. We'll have 8-10 days total and will only be doing 4-5 days of parks plus at least day of water parks. So, thoughts? Pros and Cons of each? Thanks everyone.
viennamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

First, Fort Wilderness is quite spread out. I wouldn't suggest staying in a cabin there unless (A) you fully understand the transportation situation and (B) you are looking for a secluded stay. Second, it is a beautiful walk from WL to FW but it's about a mile. Just so you know.

BRV is quite close to the Wilderness Lodge main building, maybe a 60-second walk if you hustle, 2 minutes if you take it slow. The walk from the farthest room to the BRV lobby is longer than the walk from the lobby to WL. I should know -- I had that room at the end of the hall, with the famous "dumpster view"! BRV is actually closer to the bus stop than the main lodge is.

The WL building is just plain beautiful. You won't be disappointed. The CCV rooms are very nice, and I'm sure the others are too but I've not stayed in one.

If you can afford a CCV cabin, cash or points, go for it!! I saw one on a tour and they are amazing. But it may be a healthy walk to "civilization" depending on which you get.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 01-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We’ve stayed at WL, BRV and CC. We’ve not done FW.

Wilderness Lodge (WL) actually houses the “new CC” rooms so you’ll be in the same building. We’ve stayed at WL twice over the years - once in a bund bed room on the top floor (before DD was born) and another time after she was born we stayed in 2 connecting rooms - 4 people need 2 bathrooms at least in our family! Oddly the CC rooms are in the same area where we stayed when we had the connected rooms many years ago. I’m not sure if they’ve updated the WL rooms to match the CC rooms. Being a family of 5 we need a 2BR.

VWL/BRV is in a separate building located just next door to WL. The decor is different but the ambiance is very similar to WL. We love WL, BRV, CC and still have our points there.

All of the amenities are available to you no matter where you stay. We love the boat ride to MK - you can also get a boat to the Contemporary and Fort Wilderness. The bus depot is actually a little closer to VWL/BRV. If you need groceries or sundries you need to go to VWL store. You also have easy access to all of the restaurants that are housed at WL.

Keep in mind that the FREE dining comes with FULL price rooms. You may want to check further into other options. We haven’t done a dining plan in several years as we enjoy the flexibility of eating/ordering exactly what we want. We will eat appetizers and skip dessert many times. Sometimes we will only eat the appetizers and skip the entrees.

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
poster44
Two Bedroom

The cabins at FW are fun, but I would suggest renting a golf cart during your stay. We have not stayed there for several years, but the bedding never seemed comfortable, so hope they fixed that.
poster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I was under the impression that the bunk beds were taken out of WL? Or maybe it's just that they are in the process of removing them but there are still some?

FW is more "Davy Crockett" vs Northwestern Lodge that WL and BRV are. But for a stay of that length with only part of it in the parks I think I'd lean towards the FW Cabin for a little more room to spread out. You'll have the queen bed and bunk beds all in a single bedroom and a pull down murphy bed in the living area. It'll be larger and have a bit more in the kitchen compared to BRV studio. But I've always wanted to stay in a Cabin - bucket list.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I was under the impression that the bunk beds were taken out of WL? Or maybe it's just that they are in the process of removing them but there are still some?

FW is more "Davy Crockett" vs Northwestern Lodge that WL and BRV are. But for a stay of that length with only part of it in the parks I think I'd lean towards the FW Cabin for a little more room to spread out. You'll have the queen bed and bunk beds all in a single bedroom and a pull down murphy bed in the living area. It'll be larger and have a bit more in the kitchen compared to BRV studio. But I've always wanted to stay in a Cabin - bucket list.
Last time I checked the website, they still offered the bunk beds, but that was a few months ago. I’m too lazy to log in and look right now...
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Last time I checked the website, they still offered the bunk beds, but that was a few months ago. I’m too lazy to log in and look right now...
Ok. I think it may either be in the future plan or just a belief they will since they removed them from AKL during that refurb.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post

Keep in mind that the FREE dining comes with FULL price rooms. You may want to check further into other options. We haven’t done a dining plan in several years as we enjoy the flexibility of eating/ordering exactly what we want. We will eat appetizers and skip dessert many times. Sometimes we will only eat the appetizers and skip the entrees.
Guests at WDW staying on points do not get free dining.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Don’t forget that you can also rent CCV points, which will put you inside the main building of Wilderness Lodge.

The FW cabins are nice, but cramped and no real “safety valve” except the great outdoors if anybody needs their space. Still, they are more spacious than a standard hotel room.

If you do stay at FW, that will be your dominant resort - WL isn’t close enough to for it to not be a special trip. Trails End Buffet at FW is supposed to be really nice (and inexpensive), but if that’s your only option for resort food, it could get old (and inconvenient).

If you want a resort experience, I recommend WL cash, or CCV or BRV on points (or cash for a studio if you want Free Dining).

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
viennamom
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I was interested in CCV, but there isn't full availability in a studio
for my dates unfortunately.
viennamom is offline   Reply With Quote