home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Jeb
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Travel to Legoland/Car Rental

We are going to take a 1 day side trip to legoland this fall, while we are at disney for 5 days. I trying to decide what to do for transportation. Airport car rentals are a little expensive just to use 1 day, it was around $350 for the trip. How long does it take to get to car rentals at the airport compared to magic express? I value time a lot, and if I can convince my wife to stick with carry on bags only, it could be worth it.

I did see budget care rentals near AK. Its a short trip with lyft snd $150 for 2 days. Are there any companies that will drop off at AKL or pick up car there when your are done?

Any other ideas getting to legoland? I saw their shuttle, but I dont like the idea of being there until park close. Its to long of a day for us.
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Jeb

Default Parking

Two other questions.

Is it worth driving to Animal Kingdom at park open if we have a car?

Or Disney Springs ? I dont know what parking is like there.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, AK. I say no to DS.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Ccarroll1100
Grand Villa

Why not use Uber or Lyft for every transportation need? Thatís what we do.
Ccarroll1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Jeb

Default Uber

Will uber go all the way to legoland? It said an hour when I used google maps
Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Ccarroll1100
Grand Villa

Yep and for under $40
Ccarroll1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccarroll1100 View Post
Yep and for under $40
That is the fare estimate, but will any drivers accept that ride? It is highly doubtful they would find a return fare at the same time and, if I'm driving Uber at WDW, the last thing I want to do is have an hour of dead time because I picked up that trip.

As for the wider question, we often rent at the airport. On cases we haven't, however, we've rented from the Car Care Center with positive experiences. They have a shuttle, but last time I used an Uber to get there, rented for the day, then returned it the next morning and took the shuttle back because it was there and ready.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
anne122679
One Bedroom

Weíve been to Legoland several times with our boys, and we rent a car for the occasion. We rent from the place in the Swan/Dolphin. Weíve compared the price of a rental there to renting at the car care place, and itís been cheaper than the car care place. Itís also convenient in the fact that you can go to either Hollywood Studios or Epcot then catch the boat or walk to pick up the car.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
ocean702
Two Bedroom

Dollar rents from the Wyndham lake Buena vista across from Disney springs. Itís a quick Uber ride to pick up the car-just double check the time the rental desk opens and closes. We found last trip that we returned a car there that we had rented in Tampa. Dollar was offering the better rates to return there than at car care center dolphin/swan or MCO.
ocean702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Have not rented a car , since we always drive, but given the distance to Legoland, I'd want to have my own vehicle, so as to better control arrival/leaving. Legoland is a lot of fun.
Once we arrive, we never drive the car again, except when changing resorts or the initial grocery run. Only exception is sometimes we'll drive to AK in the AM if rope dropping. Great way to not have to worry about buses, etc.
Last few trips, one doing house rental, and one staying at Universal, drove into DS...during the day was fine...Saturday night, thanksgiving week, the profanity I heard from drivers jockeying for spots, etc, was not very magical to say the least. It was intense parking at night.
Good luck with choices!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote