home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Describe your relationship with your guide.
Guide? Who? 34 31.78%
I know who my guide is but never hear a peep. 32 29.91%
My guide calls occasionally for official reasons only. 19 17.76%
My guide and I chat occasionally about Disney and anything. 4 3.74%
My guide and I are friends and would keep that relationship if my guide left the company. 0 0%
I bought resale. Guides are irrelevant to me. 18 16.82%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Your Relationship with your Guide

So, given our recent conversations, do you know who your guide is, and what kind of relationship do you have with your guide?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

About 1 year ago, we requested a guide change. Our prior guide literally was hands off. He wasn't even good at returning phone calls, even when we were leaving messages about the possibility of us purchasing direct.

Last year, we met with a different guide during our NYE trip to view the new CC villas (ours was busy). He was fantastic and helpful, and provided follow up to the questions we had during our meet. We formally requested to switch to him. Now, that said, We do not get messages when we arrive on property or random calls updating us on DVC happenings, birthday messages, etc. BUT, he does return our calls and answer any questions we may have....and we did buy a small direct contract last year right after switching to him.

Would I like a bit more personalized guide, sure....a little would be nice. Does it make or break what he does now....no.

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

The last time I heard from our guide was 2011.
I don't even know if he still works there.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
About 1 year ago, we requested a guide change. Our prior guide literally was hands off. He wasn't even good at returning phone calls, even when we were leaving messages about the possibility of us purchasing direct.
That's crazy. If Disney is concerned about the resale market, priority #1 for any guide should be providing excellent service to members seeking direct purchases, especially since existing members have less incentive to purchase direct as they already are members and might be fine with some points having restrictions.

Quote:
We had met with a guide during our NYE trip to view the new CC villas. He was fantastic and helpful, and provided follow up to the questions we had during our meet. We formally requested to switch to him. Now, that said, We do not get messages when we arrive on property or random calls updating us on DVC happenings, birthday messages, etc. BUT, he does return our calls and answer any questions we may have....and we did buy a small direct contract last year right after switching to him.
I would actually switch to the guide we had on the Magic when bought CCV. I'm surprised as heck our guide lived in California. We would never be able to meet with him on a WDW visit and the time difference is just ridiculous for the routine soft-touches a good guide makes.

Quote:
Would I like a bit more personalized guide, sure....a little would be nice. Does it make or break what he does now....no.
yeah - I think a more personal relationship is just icing on the cake and depends on chemistry more than anything else. I would be perfectly happy with a guide who is genuinely interested in our Disney experience but have no need for anything beyond that.

Dirk

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
The last time I heard from our guide was 2011.
I don't even know if he still works there.
I wonder what Disney's expectations are for their guides? Are they more or less independent operators who get to decide how best to cultivate sales, or do they have a game plan they are expected to follow (check-ins, cards, calls announcing new sales, promos, etc.)?

Our guides could well have decided that we were never going to buy again, though I would think a savvy guide would notice if we borrowed heavily or purchased OTUP and use that as an opportunity to update us on current offerings if we wanted to purchase more.

Then again, I boarded the Magic last October with no intent of walking off with a second contract. It's just that the conversation happened and it made sense to do so, but that's because the guide was very good at reading us while not pressuring us.

Dirk

Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Ransom
Grand Villa

We had a great Guide for years, but he left the company several years ago. I've never heard from any Guide since.

We met a great Guide when we bought CCV, but our request to switch to him never went through. For all I know, he's no longer with the company either.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
cedel47
Studio

I am on my second guide since joining in 2010 and really only hear from him when I request information.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Our guide left to sell DVC resales not long after we purchased in 2008. We have no clue who our guide is and never have needed their help. I think someone called a few times to welcome us prior to upcoming visits but we were never home to actually take the call. Maybe I am missing something {some hidden benefit.... } ....but I m good cruising along on my own guideless with reckless abandon!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I voted "Guide? Who?" since I'm in limbo right now.

I checked my dashboard to see if they had already assigned me to another guide, but it appears the dashboard has no spot for a guide listing. Makes me wonder, further, just how connected Disney expects us to be with our guides.

Anyway, I've had 3:
  • Betty P., guide when bought in 2006 - best of the three and was an original. Retired about two years later.
  • 2nd Guide - can't remember name. Never heard from him except when he became my guide. Last a few years.
  • Andy B. - 3rd guide who just left. Reminded me of banking deadlines, called when we checked in at resort. Apparenlty had a large circle of close DVC member friends, but I wasn't a part of that.

Dirk

Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
bwvBound
Grand Villa

As for the poll, I voted, "My guide calls occasionally for official reasons only." but the reality is the soft-touch is an occasional postcard not a phone call. Specifically, it is official DVC marketing collateral with her name and phone #. Perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Then again, I boarded the Magic last October with no intent of walking off with a second contract. It's just that the conversation happened and it made sense to do so, but that's because the guide was very good at reading us while not pressuring us.
This closely matches our one and only transaction with our current guide back in 2007, at DLR. While our original purchase (2004) and a planned phone add-on (2005) were through our original WDW guide, we were charmed into buying our final contract by a delightful gal who asked just a few key questions, stated her current promotion relative to our UY, watched our reactions and "offered" the sale while we casually toured the Grand Cal models units on a fairly routine visit to Disneyland. She was good .. so good.

When our original guide later left DVC we asked to be switched to the West Coast gal (which makes sense given our location) and have been with her since.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote