home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
chunter
Two Bedroom

Default Best way to Expand: New Gate/Park vs New Land

Universal Orlando has yet to announce their new park(?), but new rumors are saying its going to use the spoke and hub layout similar to the Magic Kingdom.
But have Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and Pandora, Galaxy's edge shown the best/most successful way to expand? Building a super detailed 12-20 acres land with two rides and meticulously themed shops/restaurants that tie it all together?
Is a park too big to do all at once? Does taking on an entire park dilute parts of it?

Last edited by chunter; 02-12-2019 at 01:51 PM.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Disney Tourist Blog (am I allowed to mention?) has this very discussion recently.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'm thankful to Universal for the upgrades and expansions at WDW. Without WWHP I don't think we'd be seeing nearly that kind of investment. The Harry Potter adds there really saved Universal, who couldn't have afforded to dump money into a new park at the time.

My wife was just telling me about an old podcast she listened to where they went into some discussion about Disney chasing Harry Potter sequels as well as the theme park rights, and they tried to phone it in with a 2 ride expansion (sound familiar?). If they score HP in place of "New Fantasyland" and the universal parks go under, we'd have no real competition in Orlando. I'm glad, if this story is true, that JK Rowling took a hard pass at that level of immersion.

Now while I still think Disney errs in the small scope of each expansion project, the fact that they are innovating and spending money on the parks means they learned their lesson. They don't need another park to really increase revenue, but I do think if Universal goes to 3 compelling parks they will have to decide if they're going to be one-upped again or not.

For now, Disney has the newest and most interesting additions, but if I were a family trying to decide which multi-day pass I was going to spring for, a brand new theme park would surely weigh heavily in planning discussions.

To be clearer, I believe a new Park is the best way to expand. Wait until after you've assessed the use of Gondolas for SWGE and just a bit before Universal opens a new park, and lay out your grand vision for integrated transportation, a new park, and 2(ish) connected resorts that offer easy access.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
jnoel
One Bedroom

I would like to see a new park centered around the Marvel universe and I think that an interesting centerpiece for that park (aka Cinderella Castle, Tree of Life, etc) could be Stark Tower

There are a tremendous amount of opportunities for "lands" in that type of park from the many corners of that rich universe of characters.
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
For now, Disney has the newest and most interesting additions
That's not true for me anymore. Visiting Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley for the first time this past Jan., I realized that you don't need an entire park to be spectacular. You just need a land or two to be spectacular. Disney is still my preferred place to visit, but only because of its sheer size. For me, the Harry Potter lands are the best themed lands in Orlando. And, the fact that they are closer to each other and not spread out works to Universal's advantage. The train between the two is genius. If I was in charge of Universal I would keep building exquisite Harry Potter lands close together. Eventually, incredible themed lands, close together will be the superior experience.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
I would like to see a new park centered around the Marvel universe and I think that an interesting centerpiece for that park (aka Cinderella Castle, Tree of Life, etc) could be Stark Tower

There are a tremendous amount of opportunities for "lands" in that type of park from the many corners of that rich universe of characters.
I think alot of people want to see a Marvel themed park or land. Good idea for the Stark Tower to be the centerpiece.

Personally, I would love to see Disney do a Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth land if they could get the rights. With Minas Tirith as the center piece.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

I didn't even know this was being built. Following along.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I didn't even know this was being built. Following along.
I don't think they've officially announced anything or really broken ground, but there have been a bunch of permit filings after they bought a bunch of land for expansion. Here's some of the speculation:
https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201812/6468/
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

People may like to see this, but it wont happen anytime soon given the restrictions on the Marvel characters in the park, and not even being able to use the Marvel title. Of course if somehow the rights are purchased by Disney and they are willing to spend the money to build it, there is the possibility, but then the whole issue of how to find people to staff a new park comes into play.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
jnoel
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Dad 13 View Post
People may like to see this, but it wont happen anytime soon given the restrictions on the Marvel characters in the park, and not even being able to use the Marvel title. Of course if somehow the rights are purchased by Disney and they are willing to spend the money to build it, there is the possibility, but then the whole issue of how to find people to staff a new park comes into play.
Disney owns Marvel. Also, I am confident a deal could be reached to support MCV properties in the parks that are currently licensed out. For example the deal Disney made a few years ago with Sony to be able to license back characters from the the Marvel Cinematic Universe (eg Spider-Man) and not to mention the Guardians of the Galaxy ride in DL and the Guardians coaster going in at Epcot.
jnoel is offline   Reply With Quote